The president of Real Madrid, Florentino Pérez, wanted to share a few words in memory of Lorenzo Sanz, his counterpart sadly passed away on Saturday at the age of 76, after entering infected with COVID-19.The top president of the white club began the statement transmitting his “Condolences to all his family, especially his wife, his children, his grandchildren and all his friends and loved ones”, and made it known that “Real Madrid is at his side.” He deeply regretted not being able to say goodbye to Lorenzo: “This situation we are going through is so cruel that it prevents us from being with ours in the last moments.” Nor did he forget the families of the victims of the coronavirus “who are experiencing this terrible drama. We live in a time that we couldn’t imagine even in the worst nightmares. “ Florentino took the opportunity to honor the memory of Lorenzo Sanz and emphasize the triumphs that Madrid achieved under his mandate: “Today we remember the figure of Lorenzo Sanz, a president who The long-awaited European Cup brought us to Madrid, after 32 years of long waiting. The madridistas will always remember him as the president who gave us back hope and joy on May 20, 1998 in Amsterdam. The Seventh arrived. Also the Eighth two years later in 2000 in Paris, and Real Madrid returned to occupy its rightful place in history. During his five years of presidency we were once again great in the European competition that our fans love so much and that becomes something unforgettable. With him, Real Madrid continued to enhance its history and legend. “He emphasized the love of the former president of the merengue club for his team: “Lorenzo’s passion was undoubtedly Real Madrid and those emotions were still very present in him during these last years. “In addition, he promised to pay tribute to him at the Bernabéu after the crisis ended: “From the club we are going to do everything that his figure and his legacy deserve to pay him the tribute that all Madrid fans want. A tribute in that Santiago Bernabéu stadium that every game kept coming to feel his team. Now, as we all know, it is not possible, but of course we will carry it out. “Florentino concluded the statement by giving an encouraging message to society to face these days when the pandemic is hitting Spain and the entire world: “I know very well that these days are, without a doubt, days of sadness, but let us not forget that in this strange time we have to live, we must all continue to show strength, resistance and integrity until the end. And that is what the President Lorenzo Sanz “.
Oiling machine fuels success of PH bowlers Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny FILE PHOTOMore than improving its standings, Cignal HD will be looking to cheer up injured leader Jovelyn Gonzaga when it battles Sta. Lucia Realty on Thursday in the Chooks to Go-Philippine Superliga Grand Prix at Filoil Flying V Centre.Cignal coach George Pascua reported that no fracture had been found on Gonzaga’s right knee which she injured last Tuesday in losing to runaway leader F2 Logistics.ADVERTISEMENT Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ “This is a major challenge for us,” said Pascua, “This is the perfect time for us to step up together and play as a team. We know Jovelyn really wants to win. She’s a fighter. We have to help her emotionally by winning this match for her.”Underrated opposite hitter Mylene Paat is expected to fill in Gonzaga’s shoes as they take on the struggling Lady Realtors.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSBack on the throneOne more thing going against the HD Spikers is the fact that they have lost three of their last four matches, while the Lady Realtors are bent on scoring a win that would put them up the elimination ladder.But Sta. Lucia is likely to also miss a key player as import Marisa Field is out due to knee injury for two games. OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ LATEST STORIES It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Winless Victoria Sports-UST is hoping to hop off the basement when it takes on Iriga City in the other match.A win by the Tigresses would revive their chances of making the quarterfinals as only one squad will get eliminated.Rachel Anne Daquis suited up for Cignal HD after missing two games but her presence hardly mattered after F2 Logistics scored a 25-22, 25-13, 25-12 rout to occupy solo top spot.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award
The Ganta Police Detail has confirmed the arrest at Ganta Immigration Checkpoint of two residents of Gbarnga, Bong County, with a large consignment of single barrel gunshots.Police identified the men as Smith G. Wuonaaneh and Sackor Swen, both Liberians. They were picked up over the weekend at the border checkpoint with Guinea. The two men were on board a vehicle, which had crossed over from Guinea, when they were apprehended by Liberian border guards.Police said that at least 1000 bullets were seized from both men. It is not yet clear what the suspects intended to do with the gunshots, our Nimba County correspondent said.But locals who were present at the time of the arrest said that they believe the gunshots were intended for hunting purposes.Single-barrel guns were used for animal hunting before the 14-year Liberian Civil War, which ended in 2003. But the use of these guns has since been banned and prohibited throughout the country.The two men allegedly brought the gunshots from neighboring Guinea, which has closed its borders with Liberia as a result of the deadly Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).But ever since the closure of the border, there still exists secret cross-border activities in Ganta.The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) officials at the Ganta Immigration Check Point last month seized at least 14 cartons of single-barrel rounds, loaded onto a vehicle headed for Monrovia.William Fayah of the DEA told the Daily Observer that the gunshots were seized from a young Guinean–Liberian, Makoni Dorleh, who had entered Liberia at the Gbloryee Port #1 (a sub–port around Ganta’s main port of entry).Dorleh’s case was reportedly transferred to the headquarters of the Liberia National Police (LNP) in Monrovia. But up to present nothing has been heard of the case in Nimba, our correspondent says.The two men connected to the arrest are said to have been transferred to Sanniquellie for further investigation by police. Sanniquellie is the headquarters of the Nimba County local government.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
WASHINGTON – Of all the candidates running for president, none has more weathered the crosscurrents of the immigration battle than Gov. Bill Richardson, the New Mexico Democrat. Richardson, whose mother is Mexican, is the governor of a border state with the highest percentage of Latino immigrants in the country. He has been entangled in the issue at home and a player in the ongoing struggle in Washington about rewriting the nation’s immigration laws. He is the first Latino to seek the Democratic presidential nomination. Richardson initially said he would support the immigration compromise announced earlier this week. But on Wednesday, he said that after reading it in detail, he had decided to oppose it, saying the measure placed too great a burden on immigrants – tearing apart families that wanted to settle in the United States, creating a permanent tier of second-class immigrant workers, and funding a border fence that Richardson had long opposed. “This is fundamentally flawed in its current form, and I would oppose it,” he said. “We need bipartisanship, but we also need legislation that is compassionate. I’m not sure this is.” Richardson’s own personal history illustrates the struggles that families endure to obtain citizenship in the United States. In November 1947, when his mother was pregnant with him, Richardson’s father, who wanted his son to be a U.S. citizen, sent her on a train to Pasadena, where she gave birth. The mother then went back with her newborn to Mexico City, where Richardson remained until he returned to the United States at age 13.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Richardson said he does not want to be pigeonholed as the immigration candidate, but the moment is forcing him to take a stand on a volatile issue that carries major risks for all the presidential candidates. In aligning himself with the view that the bill is insufficiently compassionate, he is in agreement with a key segment of his party, including many Latino voters, that wants more focus on reuniting families. At the same time, though, Richardson risks identifying his candidacy with the efforts in Congress to ease strictures against immigrants who are in this country illegally, exposing himself to the strong anti-immigration currents that this battle has unleashed. He is the first major Democrat to explicitly call for defeat of the bill in its current form, a decision that he said would no doubt echo across the presidential playing field and in Washington. And his is a voice that carries particular weight: Raised during his childhood years in Mexico, he went on to became a governor who once declared a state of emergency in response to turmoil and violence on the border caused by illegal immigrants. Richardson said he wanted his candidacy to be identified with other issues – an immediate withdrawal of troops from Iraq, a national health care program – rather than immigration. He noted that he had addressed just four sentences of a 365-page political autobiography he wrote in advance of the campaign, “Between Worlds: The Making of An American Life,” to immigration. Still, Richardson said he realized that might be difficult in this political environment in which the immigration debate was stirring so many passions across the country. He said he felt an obligation to speak out against what he suggested was an anti-immigrant fervor, be it from television news hosts such as Lou Dobbs or Republican candidates for president.
From there, the court was told that he just snapped.Brown, who had remained at Prince George Regional Correctional Centre since his arrest, was also sentenced to 124 days time served plus a day in jail for uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm to the RCMP. He will serve his term at home, but will end up in custody if he violates his conditions, which include no consumption of alcohol and no use of the internet for those six months. This according to the Prince George Citizen. Leslie Earl Brown, of Pouce Coupe was given the term Friday in Prince George provincial court.Brown posted remarks not only about Bernier, but also his family.- Advertisement -On Brown’s own Facebook page, he wrote that he hoped Bernier’s plane crashes and “your stupid head gets removed in the process.” The day Brown made the posts on the social media website; he had gone through dental surgery and was on pain killers. He had also been drinking while on Facebook and got into an argument with another user when an ad from Bernier popped up on the pages sidebar.Advertisement
“It’d be great for the landowners to have that kind of support from down south, and it should be meaningful to the government,” he said.“One group after another has come out asking the government to do the right thing here. So far they’ve been ignoring it. I don’t know how much more they can stand.”Metro Vancouver is a political umbrella group representing 23 different local governments in the Lower Mainland, representing about 2.4 million people.Several municipalities in the province have already supported the call for a moratorium on the project, including Richmond and Cumberland.Advertisement Critics of the Site C dam are in Vancouver this afternoon to convince local governments there to join their call in delaying the project.Representatives of the Peace Valley Landowner Association (PVLA), along with Hudson’s Hope Mayor Gwen Johansson, are set to appear before the Metro Vancouver Intergovernment and Finance Committee at 1 p.m. to convince the committee to call on Premier Christy Clark to put a moratorium on the dam’s construction, and send it to a review by the British Columbia Utilities Commission.The group has brought with them US energy economist Robert McCullough to present his findings on the $8.8-billion project.- Advertisement -The PVLA commissioned McCullough to review the project, with his findings reporting that the dam is three times as costly as alternative options for generating new power in the province.According to McCullough’s report, the province would see $200 million in savings by deferring the construction by two years and referring the project to BCUC review.Ken Boon, president of the landowner’s association, said the securing the support of Vancouver municipalities will be a boost to the group’s cause.Advertisement The province exempted Site C from BCUC review under 2010 Clean Energy Act.In 2014, a a federal and provincial joint-review panel called on the government to send the project to BCUC for review.The province brushed off that call, and has repeatedly said construction will begin this summer.
New Rangers boss Mark Warburton is targeting Premiership titles and Champions League football after taking over at Ibrox.The former Brentford head coach has been brought in by the club who are currently still playing in the Scottish Championship after missing out on promotion last year.But asked if he was targeting titles and a return to European’s elite competition, he replied: “There is no point coming to a club of this stature and not having those sort of targets in mind.It’s very dangerous to set specific timescales but the infrastructure is here. I’m looking out of the office window right now at a magnificent training centre.“What we have to do is recruit the right squad. Get them playing the right way and make sure we set our standards high and see how far we can go.”
Arjen Robben 1 I’m sure we’ve seen this before?Either way, you’d hate to be the defender responsible for stopping Arjen Robben in full flight – and the Welsh backline were understandably helpless as the Bayern winger bamboozled his way through to score.Robben, predictably but devastatingly, raced down the right wing, cut inside and then arrowed a fine strike into the bottom corner past Wayne Hennessey.The former Chelsea winger would score again later in the second half as the Dutch snatched a 3-2 win at the Cardiff City Stadium.Here’s the 31-year-old’s first goal of the night:
New Middlesbrough manager Garry Monk believes the club “tick all the boxes” he was looking for and is targeting an immediate return to the Premier League following last season’s relegation.Monk has joined Boro on a three-year contract just over two weeks after leaving Leeds following his one-season stay at Elland Road, where he just missed out on a play-off place.The 38-year-old was expected to remain at Leeds beyond the end of the season but talks broke down following Andrea Radrizzani’s takeover, which led to Monk resigning.However, the former Swansea boss is delighted to take charge at the Riverside Stadium and believes the foundations are in place for a promotion push despite a disappointing season in the top flight last year.Monk told a press conference: “I became a manager out of a job and obviously I’m ambitious and want to be working and find that right challenge – that is something I have always wanted.“Speaking to the chairman Steve (Gibson) especially and all the guys at the club, it was that ambition and challenge that ticked all the boxes that I was looking for.“Everything I wanted in terms of the challenge I wanted was clear with Middlesbrough.”Gibson has spoken of his desire to ‘smash’ the Championship next season as Boro look to make their stay outside the top flight as short as possible.If the club manage to keep hold of the majority of their players, and with the possibility of money being available for new signings, then expectations will be high that Boro can bounce back at the first attempt.That will place extra scrutiny on Monk’s head, but he says he is ready to take it all in his stride.He said: “It’s fine. I’ve worked under pressure since I started becoming a manger and that’s how I work best. I think in football nowadays everything, particularly in management, is a high-pressured situation.“That (promotion) is the objective. There’s no getting away from that. That is the challenge that you want, I have signed for three years and I would like to make it at the first attempt but you know as well as me how difficult it is to do that.“You saw that the three teams that went down last season, only one made it back and in previous seasons gone by it has been very difficult for teams to make it back. But one thing that this club is, is that it is equipped, it’s ready and it’s determined to bounce back at the first time of asking.”There has also been plenty of speculation surrounding the future of captain Ben Gibson – who is currently on international duty with England – with several Premier League clubs reportedly interested in the central defender.Monk believes the 24-year-old will have an important role to play – if he remains at the club.“Ben is one of a number of players who are integral to this club and integral to making that step back to the Premier League. Right now, it is about being here, being happy and excited to be here working with these players and maybe adding to the squad,” he said.“The players we have got here have a lot of talent. You look from before, they had a good progression from the club, built its way to the Premier League and shows it’s a club that works in a good way.“The key is to make sure the club refocus and get ready with confidence to come again this season and back into it.”There are ongoing discussions as to whether former Boro interim boss Steve Agnew and coach Jonathan Woodgate will remain at the club, with James Beattie – who worked with Monk at Leeds – linked with a move to the north east.An announcement on Monk’s backroom staff is set to be made later in the week. 1 Garry Monk has signed a three-year deal as Middlesbrough manager
Reid, who knelt alongside Colin Kaepernick during the 2016 season to protest social injustice, knelt near midfield Sunday, the Associated Press reported. None of … Click HERE if you’re having trouble viewing the gallery on your mobile device.Former 49ers’ safety Eric Reid knelt during the national anthem Sunday before his first game with the Carolina Panthers.Eric Reid kneels during national anthem … @FOX46News pic.twitter.com/abGCD5DIiP— Josh Sims (@JoshFox46) October 7, 2018