Reporter sentenced to 3 months of “non-reported supervision” after October arrest Reporters kicked off floor during closed-door Mueller hearing Receive email alerts For the latest updates, follow RSF on twitter @RSF_en. TIMOTHY A. CLARY / AFP United StatesAmericas Help by sharing this information United StatesAmericas News President Trump hurls insults at press on Twitter, suggests NBC could be sued RSF_en June 7, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on United States Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin posted a video and series of tweets on December 12 attacking the Louisville Courier-Journal for participating in what will be a year-long project with ProPublica to investigate the state’s government program, a partnership that was announced earlier that day. Bevin began his tirade by calling into question the objectivity and credibility of the “dying” Courier-Journal, Kentucky’s largest newspaper, before railing against “left-wing” ProPublica and making pointed statements about its founders, alleging the media outlet is supported by “George ‘I Hate America’ Soros,” whose organization, Open Society Foundation, funds less than two percent of ProPublica’s operations. Soros, a common target of attacks that rely on anti-Semitic tropes, is just one of ProPublica’s 34,000 donors. The governor, who has clashed with reporters before, also calls the Courier-Journal a “sock puppet” for people “who hate America and undermine, day in and day out, the values that we in Kentucky actually hold dear,” and urges viewers to “just disregard the nonsense that comes out of this biased left-wing organization.” Both news organizations have responded to Bevin’s outburst, in a Courier-Journal editorial and through a series of tweets from ProPublica. Organisation Freelance journalist Zachary Siegel was sentenced on December 14 to three months of “non-reported supervision” for breaking a court decorum order that prohibited most reporters from recording a trial. His sentencing means that in the event that he commits another crime Siegel will remain under this court’s jurisdiction, but he won’t need to regularly report to a probation officer and he is allowed to travel and leave the state. Siegel was arrested and held in contempt of court for recording part of a high-profile murder trial on October 2, a violation of the court’s decorum order that only allowed a defined media pool to record the proceedings. Siegel’s attorney filed a motion on October 30 to reconsider the criminal contempt order, arguing that because his client had never before covered a court proceeding he was unfamiliar with the media pool practices for covering trials. This motion was denied on December 14, and Siegel told the US Press Freedom Tracker the judge was adamant that he had been attempting to get a “scoop” when he recorded the trial. “If a deputy merely told me to turn off my recorder, which was in plain sight, I would’ve done it,” Siegel told the Press Freedom Tracker. “None of this needed to happen.” President Donald Trump tweeted throughout the weekend about the press’ allegedly “dishonest” and “unfair” news coverage, targeting NBC News by name. “Never in the history of our Country has the ‘press’ been more dishonest than it is today,” President Trump tweeted on the morning of December 15. A day later he tweeted that the “REAL scandal” is the “one sided coverage…of networks like NBC,” and suggested that this coverage should be tested for legality in court. The president also referred to Saturday Night Live in his December 16 tweet, calling it a “Democratic spin machine,” the morning after the show had aired a sketch that imagined a world without Trump as president. Kentucky governor launches tirade against Louisville newspaper partnering with ProPublica News Report reveals Russian company’s impersonation of US media outlets during and after 2016 presidential election Newsrooms across United States receive hoax bomb threats Multiple newspapers received emailed bomb threats on December 13, prompting some offices to evacuate and police to sweep the newsrooms. The emails, which authorities deemed to be a hoax, were also sent to government buildings, universities, apartment buildings and businesses in dozens of cities throughout the United States. The Raleigh News & Observer in Raleigh, North Carolina, received the email on Thursday afternoon, and though the newspaper’s publisher said the threat “did not appear to be legitimate,” the entire 17-story office building that houses the paper evacuated. According to CNN, the Charlotte News & Observer also received an emailed threat. The Park Record newspaper in Park City, Utah, evacuated that same afternoon after receiving the hoax bomb threat. The emails were vague and did not mention the newspapers by name, and it is unclear if they were all connected. While CNN reporting did not disclose the name of the sender, the Raleigh News & Observer editor said the email was sent from somewhere in Russia. More than a dozen reporters who had been staked out in the hall next to a sealed federal appeals courtroom where Special Counsel Robert Mueller appeared to be locked in a mysterious subpoena battle on December 14 were kicked off the floor, which officials at the courthouse had shut down to the public as well. The reporters, who had been anxious to catch a glimpse of attorneys for Mueller and the unknown appellant in this mystery case, relocated to other stakeout locations in the Washington courthouse, though they received few details of what occurred during oral arguments that took place in the courtroom. Politico first reported in October that a witness had dragged Mueller and his team—which is at the head of the investigation into whether the Trump campaign coordinated with Russians to interfere in the 2016 presidential election—into court to battle a subpoena. News News to go further April 28, 2021 Find out more A Senate Intelligence Committee report on Russia’s endeavor to help elect President Donald Trump in 2016 found that the Internet Research Agency, a Russian company that has been behind efforts to manipulate American voters, had impersonated news outlets on social networks in an attempt to sow distrust in American media, CNN reported on December 16. The report shows 44 Twitter accounts with more than 600,000 followers posing as “US-related” media outlets, many of which were made to look like local news outlets. The researchers that compiled the report on behalf of the Senate Intelligence Committee found that the Russians consistently “attempted to erode trust in mainstream media,” according to CNN. The impersonation of US media outlets is similar to the tactic the Internet Research Agency used when it set up phony websites targeting groups like “Black Lives Matter.” Below are the most notable incidents regarding threats to press freedom in the US during the week of December 3 – December 9: June 3, 2021 Find out more The United States ranks 45th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2018 World Press Freedom Index after falling 2 places in the last year NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists December 17, 2018 US – #WeeklyAddress: December 10 – December 16: Newsrooms across the US receive hoax bomb threats Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says
OTTAWA — The Conservatives say they are the first party to register candidates in all 338 ridings.The party’s national campaign manager, Hamish Marshall, says in a statement that 107 of those candidates are women — a record for the party.Marshall says the Conservatives have a diverse slate of candidates, including Indigenous Canadians, members of the LGBTQ community, Muslims, Sikhs, Jewish Canadians, Christians, Hindus and Buddhists.The deadline for candidates to register is Monday at 2 p.m.Information from Elections Canada as of midday Sunday shows that the NDP has registered 332 candidates, while the Liberals and Greens have both registered 319.Story continues belowThis advertisement has not loaded yet,but your article continues below.The registration list shows that People’s Party of Canada has registered 291 candidates.This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 29, 2019.
Argentina’s poor run of results in the South American qualifiers has left everyone contemplating the unthinkable: a World Cup next summer without Lionel Messi.The dreaded question looms large after an uninspiring draw at home to last-placed Venezuela this week left Argentina adrift of the automatic qualifying places for Russia 2018.Veteran coach Cesar Luis Menotti described the latest performance as “scary” and had some choice words for coach Jorge Sampaoli, who like his predecessors is struggling with how best to use Messi’s verve in a team which has failed to find its spark. “The truth is; it was a shock. Seeing all this was a shock! I played two games against Venezuela: in Caracas we won 7-0 and in Rosario 11-0. Eighteen goals in two games!“And now I see that it’s hard for us to beat Venezuela? There’s something that we’re not doing well,” said Menotti, who led Argentina to World Cup glory in 1978.The goals have dried up. Argentina were on a run of 309 minutes without scoring in these qualifiers when they finally got an own-goal against Venezuela.Menotti levelled most of his scorn at the tactics used by Sampaoli, the former Chile and Seville coach. “I don’t understand the team.“It’s not the same thing to lead Seville as it is Argentina. Especially if you have Messi.”The diminutive 30-year-old cuts an increasingly isolated figure on the pitch, bereft of teammates who can give him the right pass at the right time, according to former Argentine international Alberto Marcico.“Messi is more isolated, in the past he was better served by those around him.”Messi’s current lieutenants, Juventus’ Paulo Dybala and Inter Milan captain Mauro Icardi, haven’t been able to provide the service the star is used to in his slick club side Barcelona, and more often than not he is crowded out by defenders waiting to pounce when the ball finally comes.‘LIKE TANGO’The over-reliance on Messi is striking for Menotti, saying Sampaoli must change how Argentina use him.“They use drones, they give talks, they put put fourteen guys to work and when he gets the ball, Messi bolts forward to see if he can take everyone on. It’s very difficult,” he said.“Football is like Tango. You can’t run around all the time.”“Football has pause. It has acceleration, it has rhythms, it has changes. The way Argentina play makes you dizzy, and that’s the worst enemy of a footballer,” Menotti told FoxSports.For commentator and former player Diego Latorre, Argentina’s problems go deeper than Messi.“Psychological issues play a very important role in how a game develops, and this team still has a block in its nervous system that can’t be turned off.”Argentina’s priceless forward line is too easily shepherded down blind alleys, playing “like a pack of hungry wolves without teeth who finish up meekly in a corral after 90 minutes,” Latorre wrote in the daily La Nacion.Aside for an over-reliance on Messi, the team has a heavy psychological burden to bear.“They lost three finals, and that’s heavy,” said Marcico, referring to the 2014 World Cup final â€“ lost to Germany in extra-time â€“ and successive Copa America finals in 2015 and 2016.Now, Argentina have just two matches to redeem themselves, hosting fourth-placed Peru in Buenos Aires next month before an awkward final match away to Ecuador at altitude.The top four in the table qualify for next year’s finals, which the fifth-placed team will face a play-off with New Zealand.Former national coach Marcelo Bielsa, now with Lille in France, remains confident that Argentina will prevail in their two remaining matches.“I am absolutely convinced that Argentina will qualify,” he said.But the fear remains that the burden of a nation’s expectations can crush the best of talents, and leave mighty Argentina without a place at a World Cup finals for the first time since Mexico 1970.And it could also leave the world without the spectacle of arguably its greatest player slaloming through defences in Russia next July, depriving him of one last chance to crown his career with ultimate football glory.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram