“Selfitis” – the obsession of taking selfies on smartphones – may be a real disorder that requires treatment, according to a study conducted in India. Researchers at Nottingham Trent University in the UK and the Thiagarajar School of Management (TSM) in Tamil Nadu began investigating the phenomenon after a hoax story appeared in the media in 2014 claiming ‘selfitis’ had been classed as a genuine mental disorder by the American Psychiatric Association. They have now confirmed its existence and developed the ‘Selfitis Behaviour Scale’ which can be used to assess its severity.The scale was developed using a large number of focus groups with 200 participants and the scale was tested via a survey of 400 participants.Participants were based in India because the country has the most users on Facebook, as well as the highest number of deaths as a result of trying to take selfies in dangerous locations.The findings, published in the International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction confirmed that there are three levels of selfitis. Borderline is defined as taking selfies at least three times a day but not posting them on social media.Acute selfitis describes taking selfies at least three times a day and posting each one on social media.Chronic selfitis is the uncontrollable urge to take photos of one self round the clock and posting the photos on social media more than six times a day, researchers said.Six motivating factors were identified, with selfitis sufferers typically seeking to increase their self-confidence, seek attention, improve their mood, connect with the environment around them (to create a record of memories), increase their conformity with the social group around them, as well as being socially competitive.The prevalence of these factors determined the level of selfitis severity.”A few years ago, stories appeared in the media claiming that the condition of selfitis was to be classed as a mental disorder by the American Psychiatric Association,” said Mark Griffiths, from Nottingham Trent University.”While the story was revealed to be a hoax, it did not mean that the condition of selfitis did not exist,” Griffiths said.”We have now appeared to confirm its existence and developed the world’s first Selfitis Behaviour Scale to assess the condition,” he said.”Typically, those with the condition suffer from a lack of self-confidence and are seeking to ‘fit in’ with those around them, and may display symptoms similar to other potentially addictive behaviours,” said Janarthanan Balakrishnan, assistant professor at TSM.”Now the existence of the condition appears to have been confirmed, it is hoped that further research will be carried out to understand more about how and why people develop this potentially obsessive behaviour, and what can be done to help people who are the most affected,” he said.
News RSF_en LibyaMiddle East – North Africa December 17, 2019 Find out more News Organisation News June 24, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts Follow the news on Libya With Libya in the throes of a major political and security crisis that began on 16 May, Reporters Without Borders voices deep concern about the fate of the country’s journalists, who are yet again the targets of violence.The radio station of the Islamist group Ansar Al-Shariaa, located in the eastern Benghazi district of Al-Lithi, was the target of bomb just as Retired Maj. Gen. Khalifa Haftar launched his “Operation Dignity” in Benghazi on 16 May. The explosion, which was not claimed, seems to have caused no injuries.According to one of its spokesmen in Benghazi, “Operation Dignity” – which is supported by several army units in eastern Libya and part of the air force – aims to “purge the city of terrorist groups.”Ayub Gweider, a Benghazi-based cameraman with the privately-owned satellite TV station Libya International, was kidnapped by an armed group at around 2 p.m. on 16 May as he was covering clashes resulting from “Operation Dignity” in the southern Benghazi district of Al-Hawari.His abductors called him a traitor, confiscated his mobile phone and then released him. Gweider has received death threats in the past.Abdallah Doma, Agence France-Presse’s photographer in Benghazi, was the target of a shooting attack as he returned to the city from Tripoli at around 6 a.m. on 17 May. A total of 32 shots were fired next to his car as he was getting out of it in order to enter his home. By chance, he was not hit.According to official sources, more than 70 people have been killed in Benghazi as a result of Gen. Haftar’s military offensive, which the central government has condemned as illegitimate.Two days after the start of the operation in Benghazi, the Tripoli headquarters of the General National Congress (GNC – the transitional parliament) was the target of an attack on 18 May by apparent members of the Zintan brigades, who are well-known for being opposed to Islamist groups. On Libyan revolution’s 10th anniversary, authorities urged to guarantee press freedom LibyaMiddle East – North Africa February 23, 2021 Find out more May 21, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 News providers again at heart of Libyan security chaos to go further Help by sharing this information Six imprisoned journalists to finally appear in court in Istanbul Well-known Libyan journalist missing since his arrest News RWB points out that Libya is required by national and international obligations to respect freedom of information. These obligations are enshrined in the 2011 Constituent Covenant and in various international treaties to which Libya is party. While the link between the “Operation Dignity” in Benghazi and the attack on the GNC is still unclear, around 60 people were reportedly injured and two were killed in the course of the clashes in Tripoli on 20 May.Two rocket-propelled grenades exploded a few dozen metres from Libya International’s headquarters in Tripoli at around 10 p.m. on 18 May, shortly after the station broadcast a live programme in which Abdallah Naker, a former head of the Tripoli Revolutionary Council, a powerful Zintan brigade known for being firmly opposed to the Islamists, commented on recent events.A Libya International employee said a woman called the station during the broadcast and said: “If you don’t stop the programme at once, you will see what will happen!” No one was injured by the attack.Reporters Without Borders urges all civilian, military and political actors taking part in the clashes to immediately end all attacks on civilians, including all journalists operating in Libya. News providers have a fundamental role to play in the new Libya, especially in the overall process of building a viable and democratic state for the long term. Violence against media personnel must be stopped without delay.Reporters Without Borders also reminds Libya that it is party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, article 19 of which enshrines freedom of expression and information.In its General Comment No. 34 (on article 19), the UN Human Rights Committee said that under no circumstance “can an attack on a person, because of the exercise of his or her freedom of opinion or expression, including such forms of attack as arbitrary arrest, torture, threats to life and killing, be compatible with article 19.”The committee also said: “All such attacks should be vigorously investigated in a timely fashion, and the perpetrators prosecuted, and the victims, or, in the case of killings, their representatives, be in receipt of appropriate forms of redress.”
Transfers Barcelona doors open for Coutinho, says Rakitic Goal 23:19 12/22/17 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(9) Getty Images Transfers Barcelona Ivan Rakitić Philippe Coutinho Real Madrid v Barcelona Liverpool Premier League Primera División The Brazil international is top of the Catalan side’s list of transfer targets and the Croatian midfielder says he would be more than welcome Ivan Rakitic says Barcelona’s “doors are open” for Philippe Coutinho and that he would make those at the club happy if he were to make the switch from Liverpool.The Catalan side are expected to return for the Brazil international in January after Liverpool rejected their attempts to sign him before the start of the season.The 25-year-old is Barca’s top target as they look to add to their attack and he is said to want to join up with the Camp Nou outfit. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player And midfielder Rakitic admits the Spanish side would receive a great boost if Coutinho were to join.”Every good player is welcome. So we have to say that the doors are open for every good player, and Coutinho is a good player,” he told Sky Sports. “With all respect to his club Liverpool, and his fans, we would be really happy if he came.”But with all the respect if he stayed at Liverpool we would wish him all the luck in the world. We have to think about the players that are already here, I think we have a really good team.”We have to do it together. If there is an opportunity to do it with Coutinho, or another player, perfect.”The Blaugrana are comfortable at the top of La Liga so far, holding a six-point lead over second-place Atletico Madrid. They take on biggest rivals Real Madrid on Saturday in a crucial Clasico game. Despite many calls that the derby at the Santiago Bernabeu could be decisive in the battle for the league title, Rakitic insists there is still a long way to go.”We don’t think of it like a final. Valencia are close to us, so are Atletico and Sevilla. It is very difficult to play in La Liga, it’s not like four or five years ago with just two teams, you have to go at every game 100 per cent,” he said. “You can’t just say we’ll get three points in all games and then wait for the Clasico, you have to prepare every game in the best way.”Of course we know that a lot of people in the world just wait for this game, and we want to finish the year in the best way, but if we get this win it is not done. There are a lot more big, hard games. It’s step-by-step.”
“Working with other stakeholders such as the 2010 Local Organising Committee, we are glad to announce that we have made significant progress in pursuit of our goal to host a successful 2010 Fifa World Cup,” Motlanthe said. South Africa ‘on course’ Source: BuaNews “We have also started to pay focused attention to all the 2010 legacy projects, so that the facilities are used for the maximum benefit of our people and our country beyond 2010,” he said. South Africa will meet its infrastructure deadlines well ahead of the 2010 Fifa World Cup, Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe told Parliament in Cape Town this week. “We are, however, confident that the economic benefits flowing from the 2010 Fifa World Cup competition will soften some of the cutting effects of this economic crisis,” he said. There are only three matches left before the curtain is drawn on Fifa’s “Festival of Continental Champions” – a test run for staging the World Cup – and no major incidents have been reported. Budget overruns He pointed out that oversight visits conducted by members of the inter-ministerial committee had helped to ensure that the government and other stakeholders met their deadlines on infrastructure programmes. Motlanthe cautioned, however, that budget overruns by some host cities, especially in light of the current economic difficulties, needed to be addressed urgently so as to ensure that their expenditure was within budget. Motlanthe said that if anything was needed to confirm South Africa’s readiness to host world soccer’s showpiece event, the Confederations Cup under way had demonstrated that the country was on course to meet its objectives. 25 June 2009 The tournament “has also helped us identify areas that require improvement to deliver the best World Cup ever,” Motlanthe said, adding that the government was convinced that Bafana Bafana would continue improving ahead of 2010. The government had also noted concerns over delays in the construction of the Mbombela Stadium in Nelspruit, Mpumalanga, and discussions with the affected parties were taking place to resolve all outstanding matters.