Youtube has struck a deal to license music from thousands of independent record labels, setting the stage for the launch of its long-awaited subscription service and rival Sweden’s Spotify and Apple’s Beat Music.The deal with rights agency Merlin was signed recently after months of acrimonious negotiations, in which YouTube threatened to take down music videos by artists such as Adele and the Arctic Monkeys if its demands were not met, the Financial Times reported. Also Read – I-T issues 17-point checklist to trace unaccounted DeMO cashThe agreement paves the way for the Google-owned company to finally launch a paid-for music service, which will compete with Spotify, the Swedish streaming service, Deezer of France and?Apple’s Beats Music.Merlin represents more than 20,000 labels from 39 countries.‘One of the last significant obstacles to getting to market has been removed,’ said Mark Mulligan, music analyst at MIDiA Research.YouTube, the world’s biggest online video service, plans to start rolling out its paid tier within weeks, according to people familiar with the matter.The new service will allow users, who pay a monthlyfee to listen to music and watch videos, without the interruption of advertising. Other features include the ability to save music for offline listening.
Following months of negotiation, Colombian drug boss Javier Calle Serna turned himself in to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) on May 4, on the island of Aruba, the Colombian police announced. Calle Serna, also known under the alias of “El Doctor” [The Doctor], and his brother Luis Enrique formed a clan known as “Los Comba” (combatants) and were considered the highest-ranking leaders of Los Rastrojos [The Stubble], one of the leading Colombian drug-trafficking groups with ties to Mexico and Ecuador. Calle Serna will be tried in New York for conspiracy to import and distribute narcotics, the Colombian police indicated. A federal court in Brooklyn indicted Calle Serna in 2010 on charges of leading Los Rastrojos, an organization which allegedly sent shipments of several tons of cocaine to the United States, via Mexico, Venezuela, and other countries in Central and South America, in coordination with Mexican cartels, the DEA said. Assets attributed to Calle Serna in the United States have also been frozen since 2011. The police chief said that Calle Serna’s negotiations with the DEA took place over several months and were a result of the pressure to which he was subjected by the police in Colombia. León said that he was not familiar with the details of the surrender, but noted that in cases like this one, criminals usually provide information about the members of their organization and drug-trafficking routes. He also thought it “probable” that Calle Serna’s younger brother Luis Enrique, a fugitive from justice, “might be involved” in the negotiations. By Dialogo May 09, 2012
0Shares0000Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho throws the captain’s armband, previously worn by Paul Pogba (unseen), towards Ashley Young during a match against Basel after Pogba was substituted off injured © AFP/File / Oli SCARFFMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Nov 4 – Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho believes he deserves credit for not complaining more about Paul Pogba’s injury problems and those affecting the rest of his squad.France midfielder Pogba has been absent for almost two months because of a hamstring injury sustained during a 3-0 Champions League victory over Basel on September 12. Five other players — Marouane Fellaini, Michael Carrick, Marcos Rojo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Jesse Lingard — are currently sidelined and Mourinho says their absences should be taken into account.“You know, I think it’s my fault because I should cry every week about our injuries and remind everybody, day after day or press conference after press conference,” he said.“It’s my way of dealing with problems. It’s my way of trying to motivate and respect and give confidence to the players that are going to replace those people.“But maybe I have to reconsider my profile. I know that I moan with a lot of things, but I don’t do with the injuries and probably I should.“I think any other manager would be speaking about Pogba every day. ‘Oh, I don’t have Pogba. Oh, when will I have Pogba?’“‘Oh, 10 matches without Pogba. Oh, all the Champions League group phase without Pogba. Oh, all the big matches — against Liverpool, against Chelsea, against Spurs — without Pogba. Oh.’“I don’t speak about Pogba one single time. It’s only when you ask me about his situation.“And it’s not just Pogba. It’s Pogba, it’s Fellaini, it’s Carrick, it’s Ibra, it’s Marcos Rojo. It’s a big group of players. So yes, I think we are doing very, very well.”Mourinho has repeatedly refused to predict when Pogba might be fit again.The former Juventus midfielder returned to United’s Carrington training headquarters just over a week ago after spending time rehabilitating in Miami.– ‘Just a normal guy’ –United are five points below Premier League leaders Manchester City ahead of their trip to champions Chelsea on Sunday.Mourinho’s preparations for the match against his former club were disrupted by the fact he had to travel to Madrid on Friday to settle a tax case with the Spanish authorities.United’s trips to Stamford Bridge have become fraught affairs since Mourinho joined United in May 2016, but he says he is still popular with Chelsea’s supporters.The United manager is one of the most significant figures in Chelsea history, having ended the west London club’s 50-year wait for a league title in 2005 at the end of his first season as their manager.He won the Premier League again with them the following season before leaving in 2007 and then, after returning in 2013, secured the title for a third time two years later.However, his two visits with United last season attracted controversy.He had a touchline confrontation with Chelsea manager Antonio Conte after a 4-0 league defeat last October and United’s 1-0 loss to Chelsea in the FA Cup quarter-finals in March was a bad-tempered affair.Mourinho regularly bumps into Chelsea supporters as he still has his family home in Knightsbridge, a couple of miles from their ground, and says he is still warmly welcomed by them.“I walk down the street and outside the football heat, outside the football environment, I see so many Chelsea fans, especially in the area where I live,” Mourinho said.“I see so many Chelsea supporters and I didn’t have one single one that wasn’t nice.“What happened in the football stadium was a different thing. When I walk in the street in London, I am just a normal guy.“When I go to Stamford Bridge and sit in that dugout, on the right side of the tunnel, I am the manager of their opponents, so I accept every possible reaction with the utmost respect.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Full Name* Governor Andrew Cuomo (Getty)After weeks of turmoil and rising Covid-19 cases, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced today that indoor dining will once again shut down across New York City starting Monday.Cuomo previously announced that he was contemplating the decision due to rising hospitalization rates. The number of people hospitalized for Covid-19 increased to 5,321 as of Dec. 10, a huge jump from 1,540 hospitalizations one month earlier.“We have said from day one that for us this is a constant calibration,” Cuomo said during a Friday press conference. “We want as much economic activity as possible.”Indoor dining will close in New York City starting Monday.Hospitalizations have not stabilized, and with a rising infection rate and NYC’s density, this means that indoor dining is too high of a risk.Takeout, delivery and outdoor dining will continue.— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) December 11, 2020Restaurants in the city began offering indoor dining again on Sept. 30, after largely closing down in the spring. Under the new restrictions, they will still be able to offer takeout and delivery. Outdoor dining won’t be affected for now.Cuomo also released a breakdown of where positive coronavirus cases are originating. Seventy-four percent of cases were driven by household gatherings — which are currently limited to 10 people or less — while 1.43 percent came from restaurants and bars and .61 percent originated from stores.Gyms and salons, however, can still operate in orange zones at 25 percent capacity. The move comes as data shows that gyms result in only .06 percent of cases.Mayor Bill de Blasio expressed support for Cuomo’s decision in a Tweet, calling the closures “painful,” but noting that “we can’t allow this virus to reassert itself in our city.”Pressure has been mounting on the Governor to make such a move ever since schools were shut down in November, though schools have since partially reopened. In a statement released earlier this week, four elected officials called on Cuomo to end indoor dining and close nonessential offices.The move is a crushing blow to restaurants who have been struggling to survive under limited capacity indoors and cold weather outdoors.Even with indoor dining, a record high 88 percent of restaurants could not pay full October rent, according to a recent survey by the New York City Hospitality Alliance.The New York State Restaurant Association also found that 54 percent of New York restaurants said they would likely not survive the next six months without federal relief, compared to 37 percent of restaurants nationwide.The latter group sent a letter to Cuomo urging him to put pressure on the federal government for financial assistance for restaurants. The RESTAURANTS Act, which would provide such aid, was introduced in June, but there’s been little progress since. Congress is still hashing out a larger Covid-19 relief bill.Contact Sasha Jones Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlink TagsAndrew CuomoCommercial Real EstateCoronavirusRestaurantsRetail Real Estate Email Address* Message* Share via Shortlink