Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagram Police investigating a bomb that exploded on Sunday inside The Mall in Maroussi, north of Athens, injuring two people, have found similarities between the remnants of the device collected from the shopping center and a bomb used in a botched attack on an Athens metro train last February, Kathimerini understands.According to police sources, the composition of the two bombs and the methodology behind the two attacks were very similar. There had been no claim of responsibility for the Mall blast by late on Monday. A group calling itself the February 12 Movement claimed responsibility for planting an incendiary device on the seat of a train at Aegaleo metro station, west of Athens, in February last year. That device, which did not go off, comprised batteries, switches, a light bulb and 4 liters of flammable liquid. The bomb that went off at The Mall was said to be virtually identical except that instead of flammable liquid, the assailants had used 1.5 kilograms of ammonium nitrate and fuel oil (known as ANFO) and gelignite. Also found in the wreckage at The Mall were remnants of a pressure cooker, prompting police to probe possible connections with the Conspiracy of the Cells of Fire, a guerrilla group that used such utensils in some of its bomb attacks.A 29-year-old man believed to be a member of that group was released pending trial last week, prompting government officials to slam the judiciary for its handling of such cases.Police believe that there are links between the February 12 Movement and Conspiracy of the Cells of Fire.But officers have not indicated that there is any connection between the attack at The Mall and last year’s attempted metro bombing. There are said to be indications, however, that the groups behind these attacks might have been guided by a common “command center” as is believed to have been the case with attacks carried out in 2010 and 2011 and claimed by Conspiracy of the Cells of Fire or Revolutionary Struggle.As regards the Mall bombing, police sources have indicated that closed-circuit television footage suggests that at least four people, including one woman, were involved in planting the device. CCTV footage reportedly shows a man wearing a woolen hat planting a package in a garbage can on the first floor of the complex.Police are also still investigating an armed attack on the offices of conservative New Democracy on January 14 by assailants wielding a Kalashnikov assault rifle and a revolver. It appears that initial reports according to which one of the two assailants spotted at the scene had been carrying a rocket launcher were accurate.Source: Kathimerini
Floyd E. Washburn, Sr., 83, Indianapolis, passed away on Saturday, May 9, 2020 at the Fairway Villages in Indianapolis. Born, December 16, 1936 in Greensburg, Indiana, he was the son of Denver and Marjorie (Castor) Washburn. Floyd was married to Susie Washburn and she preceded him in death. He is survived by two children and six siblings. He was preceded in death by his parents, wife, and several siblings. Due to the recent public health mandate of limited gatherings, a private graveside service will be held for the immediate family at Sand Creek Cemetery with Rev. Terry Canfield officiating. Porter-Oliger-Pearson Funeral Home has been entrusted with the arrangements. Online condolences can be made to the family at www.popfuneralhome.com
Ex-Subway pitchman Fogle’s appeal of sentence rejected INDIANAPOLIS – A federal appeals court rejected former Subway pitchman Jared Fogle’s appeal of his sentence of more than 15 years in prison Thursday for child pornography offences and illicit sexual conduct with a child.A three-judge panel of the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the 188-month sentence handed down by U.S. District Judge Tanya Walton Pratt in Indianapolis.Fogle, 38, pleaded guilty in November to one count each of distributing and receiving child porn and travelling to engage in illicit sexual conduct with a child. That came four months after FBI agents raided his suburban Indianapolis home in an investigation that ended Fogle’s lucrative endorsement career with Subway, which started after he lost more than 200 pounds in college, partly by eating Subway sandwiches.As part of a plea deal, prosecutors agreed not to seek more than 12 1/2 years behind bars, and Fogle’s attorney, Ron Elberger, argued Pratt abused her authority by giving him a sentence three years longer than that.Elberger argued before the appeals court that Pratt was unduly influenced by Fogle’s relationship with Russell Taylor, the former director of Fogle’s foundation convicted of producing child pornography. Elberger also argued Pratt based its sentence on Fogle’s fantasies rather than his actual conduct and that she based the sentence on his acquisition and viewing of pornography depicting children as young as 6 years old.“In light of the district court’s sound exercise of discretion under the disturbing facts of this case, we uphold the above-guidelines sentence as substantively reasonable,” said the opinion written by Judge Joel Flaum.A message seeking comment was left for Elberger at his office.Fogle admitted that he paid for sex at New York City hotels with girls who were 16 or 17 years old and that he had received some child pornography produced by Taylor. Fogle also paid a total of $1.4 million to his 14 victims, with each getting $100,000.Fogle is serving his sentence at the low-security Federal Correctional Institution Englewood in suburban Denver.Taylor, who headed the foundation Fogle started to fight childhood obesity, was sentenced in December to 27 years in prison after pleading guilty to 12 counts of child exploitation and one count of distributing child pornography. Prosecutors say Taylor used hidden cameras in his Indianapolis-area homes to secretly video minors. by The Associated Press Posted Jun 9, 2016 4:09 pm MDT Last Updated Jun 9, 2016 at 5:39 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email
– Advertisement -Despite the best efforts of Ty Gullickson in the Huskies’ net, the Fort St John Huskies dropped the opening game of their best of 5 opening round series with the Dawson Creek Junior Canucks tonight in Dawson Creek. Game 2 goes Friday night at the NPA in Fort St John at 8pm. Final Score: FSJ 2 , DC 3Dawson Creek lead series 1-0 After a short break the teams resumed battle in overtime with both teams trading chances. Once again it was Ty Gullickson, who stopped 68 of the 71 shots he saw in a player of the game performance, who was keeping Dawson Creek at bay. The Huskies squandered a power play in over time and it was special teams that ultimately made the difference. The Junior Canucks killed all but one of the Huskies man advantages in the game and finally took advantage of their numerous power plays. Cory Langdon took two penalties in OT and it was the second that cost the Pups. Riley Muise found space on the power play and wired a slap shot past Gullickson. The Junior Canucks spilled off their bench in celebration as the OT winner put them up one game to none in the best of 5 first round series.Advertisement The first period was controlled by Dawson Creek but a strong penalty kill from the Pups, and a timely power play marker from Cole Calliou late in the period, saw the Huskies head to the dressing room up a goal. The second period of play was more even as the Huskies were able to get more of the puck and spent increasing time in the attacking zone. Their strong second period was rewarded when Kole Norris was awarded a penalty shot after being hauled down on a break away. Norris slotted the puck home along the ice after a nice deke and the Pups went to the locker room after 40 minutes of play up 2. Cody Hildebrand did not return for the third period and Aaron Dendys’ ice time was limited as the Huskies were forced to battle through adveristy once again. It got worse as Jesse Disher was thrown out of the game for a hit from behind. It was a questionable call to say the least. The short benched Huskies were forced to play most of the third in their own zone and under immense pressure as the Junior Canucks pressed looking for goals. They got them thanks to Colter MacLean. The Canuck D man scored twice to tie the game and despite a late power play the Huskies were unable to find a game winner.