Although car companies have not broken the law, campaigners said they were misleading customers by claiming their vehicles were greenCredit:Tobias Schwarz REUTERS Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. Paul Morozzo, Greenpeace Clean Air Campaigner, said: “Carmakers, backed by the industry lobby, are yet again knowingly misleading their customers and the public at large by marketing new Euro 6 diesels as the ‘cleanest in history’.“Their own data shows that more than half of the very newest, top selling, Euro 6 diesel cars pollute far above the latest standards.“They’re still dirty and they’re still putting peoples’ health at risk. It’s time the industry took responsibility and stopped investing in diesel.”The data also showed that some manufacturers had managed to produce diesel cars well below the limit such as Opel/Vauxhall’s 2 litre Grandland-X which recorded overall NOx emissions of no more than 35.5mg/km.Almost all of the strongest performers were fitted with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology, which converts nitrogen oxides into nitrogen and water by injecting urea into the exhaust. However experts said most companies would choose to simply ditch diesel in future rather than adopt expensive methods for lowering emissions.Dr James Tate, Associate Professor at the Institute for Transport Studies , at the University of Leeds, said: “It is evident that controlling NOx emissions from diesel cars is challenging and expensive, with only a handful of manufactures of new models currently being found to emit NOx at a lower level.“The result is most manufacturers are already stepping away from manufacturing smaller diesel cars, with Fiat Chrysler declaring they’ll ditch diesel altogether from all its cars by 2022, and all Volvo cars launched from 2019 onwards will be partially or completely battery-powered.”Fiat declined to comment on the investigation. Renault said all but two of its diesel vehicles now fell within the new nitrogen oxide levels, while Opel/Vauxhall said the cars highlighted in the report did not need to meet September levels. Diesel cars marketed as the ‘cleanest in history’ are still belching out more than four times the legal limit of harmful nitrogen oxide, an investigation has found.A study of the newest models of the greenest Euro 6 diesel cars on sale across Europe by Greenpeace investigators found half of cars recently approved for sale would not be allowed on the market if tested today.Although car manufacturers were ordered to clean up their emissions following the Volkswagen ‘dieselgate’ scandal in 2015, limits for nitrogen oxide did not come in until September last year.When campaigners tested cars between April 2016 and September 2017 they found half emitted nitrogen oxide gas above the new legal limit of 168mg/km NOx.The worst results were for the 1.6 litre Fiat Tipo, which recorded overall emissions of 561mg/km – 3.3 times the current legal limit – and 753mg/km in urban driving – 4.5 times the limit.Other cars with poor results for emissions include the Renault Scenic Energy dCi 95 which was 2.4 times over the limit and Opel/Vauxhall’s 1.6l Crossland-X at 2.3 times the limit.And because they were tested before the new limit came into effect, manufactures are able to label their cars as Euro6 – the greenest category.
Pres. Weah (left) in a handshake with Rep. Kolubah shortly after their Monday meeting.…calm public fears of outbreak of violenceDespite an earlier pronouncement by Minister of State for Presidential Affairs that Montserrado County District #10 Representative, Yekeh Kolubah would never have audience with President George Weah, the two men, in an apparent attempt to defuse heightened tension and allay public fears of a repeat of April 6, 1996, met on Monday, April 22, along with a group of legislators at Weah’s residence in Paynesville.The meeting which was held in a spirit of mutual respect was intended to reassure the public of government’s commitment to peace, security and the rule of law. It was also intended to bridge the division between Representative Kolubah and President Weah which had developed since Representative Kolubah began publicly criticizing and attacking his policies.During their engagement President Weah inquired from Rep. Kolubah if he (President Weah) had done anything personal to him that provoked him into throwing what he described as insults against him but, the Representative replied in the negative.The meeting was attended by the ministers of State Nathaniel McGill, Information Lenn Eugene Nagbe, National Security Advisor Jefferson Kanmoh, and Deputy Press Secretary Smith Toby. The entire leadership of the ILC arranged the meeting and accompanied Rep. Kolubah.Although the city was abuzz with rumors of apologies tendered to President Weah during the meeting, Rep. Kolubah, however told reporters that he did not apologize to the President, but admitted that the meeting was cordial and that he and the President had no prior personal disagreement.He said his anger was about what he called the mischievous management of the House of Representatives by House Speaker Bhofal Chambers, who he referred to as the President’s “remote control.” He asked the President to schedule another meeting after the burial of their mutual friend, the late Representative Adolf A. Lawrence, “so I can give you details”; the President agreed.The President said he was happy to learn that he had not offended the lawmaker at any time. He called on lawmakers not to engage in transferring their aggressions to innocent people other than those who offend them. The meeting between the pair is the first and comes as preface to a planned June 7 protest aimed at pressurizing President Weah to clamp down on widespread corruption in his administration.The development comes as Ambassador, Babatunde Ajisomo, the United Nations Resident Coordinator and other partners, have been engaging the government, as well as the opposition to promote dialogue aimed at easing brewing political tension.“We are telling government to open the political space, because we had a meeting with President George Weah on Monday, April 15, 2019, and we met with all the collaborating political parties on the need for peaceful dialogue.What Liberia needs now is dialogue. That is, all hands should be on deck,” Amb. Ajisomo told the Liberia News Agency recently. Amb. Ajisomo is meanwhile urging citizens to protect the key elements that bind them, including the rule of law, democracy, and respect of other people’s opinions. He also urged citizens to engage in “constructive criticism” of the government with a view to preserve the country’s peace and stability, “even amid political and economic issues.”In a related development Representative Kolubah, who spoke to reporters at his district headquarters following the meeting with Justice Minister Musa Dean said, although his communication was denied by Speaker Bhofal Chambers, he will do everything to ensure it is placed on the House’s floor upon that body’s return from its Easter break.However, it can be recalled that Representative Kolubah has in the past accused President Weah of violating the laws of the country and urged that he should be impeached as in the case of Former Associate Justice Kabineh Ja’neh.Meanwhile the District#10 Lawmaker, following the meeting with President Weah, has also promised to refrain from making comments that could undermine the country’s peace.Rep. Kolubah however promised to remain critical of the CDC led government.Additionally, he said his meeting at the Ministry of Justice on Monday went better than expected, but said the discussions were centered more on peace than charges and arrest.Kolubah reiterated that he is not a violent man, but is interested in the maintenance of peace and stability in the country. It can be recalled that the lawmaker was summoned by Justice Minister Frank Musa Dean last week to appear at the Justice Ministry to clarify a recent statement attributed to the lawmaker regarding the “removal of the President.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
JARLA BLOWS THE WHISTLE ON THE WHISTEBLOWERS SCANDAL! was last modified: March 27th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cartoonGardaiJarlawhistle-blower
Speech by Baroness Dido Harding, Interim Executive Chair of the National Institute for Health ProtectionIf it is okay, I will start as you suggested by looking back a second. Clearly, this is a very difficult point for the country, on the weekend the Prime Minister alongside Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance were really clear that this second national lockdown is not what anyone would have wished, but it is necessary to protect our NHS capacity and protect lives. And if we look back I would like to talk briefly about what has been achieved in the last 6 months.I know that it is hard to see it, but the picture of the country coming into this activity, coming into this second set of national measures, is very different to the last one. Our schools and universities are open, the NHS is not yet overwhelmed, and we have the data and insight to see what is coming so that we are able to act earlier.As a country we are trying to balance the health of the population with the health of the economy, and society’s and individual’s needs, as Mathew just said, in terms of educating our children and our own mental wellbeing. These are clearly incredibly difficult decisions, and I have quite a large job, but those decisions are not for me, those are decisions outside of NHS Test and Trace. Those are ones for our elected leaders both nationally and locally to take.Let me step back a step. COVID-19 is the greatest public health challenge we have faced in modern times, and NHS Test and Trace has been built in an extraordinarily rapid way to address that. We have built a system the size of Asda, from scratch, in 5 months. We are working around the clock to keep expanding and improving it.To give you a sense of the scale, we have built a network of NHS, private and not-for-profit laboratories to take testing capacity from 2,000 tests a day in March to over 500,000 test a day today. Historically, this is more per head than Germany, Italy, Spain and the US. It is the largest diagnostic network the UK has ever seen, and I suspect it is the fastest growing public service we have ever built.Yesterday we hit our target of 500,000 tests a day, from over 600 locations. So (I’m an ex-retailer), we have opened 600 shops in 5 months. We’ve now processed close to 32 million tests. We have also built the largest outbound call centre in the UK. So our contact-testing services are dealing with 7 times the volume it was 7 weeks ago, and so far we have contacted 1.4 million people and have asked them to isolate.And we also have a digital wing, so you know we launched the COVID-19 app which has now had 19 million downloads in its first month, so 40% of the eligible population of the UK have it on their phones and that is a better performance than any other country where downloading isn’t compulsory.And the response from business has been extraordinary to the app: over 700,000 QR posters are up and about across the country. None of this would be possible without public, private, national and local partnership. So we are, as a nation, throwing everything at this, and this is a combination of national insight and firepower with local intelligence and experience.We have tripled the size of our local health protection teams to trace the virus and support businesses, and public sector employers locally when there are outbreaks. And we have got increasingly integrated teams which have developed some very strong relationships with local leaders and local businesses. But – and it is a big but – there is clearly more that we need to do.This virus is incredibly difficult to deal with. And it is deadly, with millions of people carrying the virus around the world but not displaying any symptoms. Every country is grappling with the same problem, and despite everyone’s best efforts and all of the work of our team in the NHS Test and Trace to be the second line of defence, after Hands, Face and Space, the virus is spreading far too rapidly and too widely.So if that’s where we are now and we look ahead as we go into another a really challenging period for us as a country, it is time for the organisation that I lead to take the next big leap forward. As lockdown slows us from the virus, we will be focusing on improving NHS Test and Trace, so that when England emerges from lockdown we are better able to live with COVID through the winter and beyond. We are thinking about that.The work we have got to do is in 4 main areas.The first one is scale. As I said, we built this extraordinary thing in 6 months but it needs to be substantially bigger and it will keep growing. We have been innovating and investing in new technologies, so these new mass testing, rapid testing technologies will give us the potential to scale testing much further. We have pilots in hospitals, schools and universities, which are showing some positive results already. As we announced last night into this morning, we will be working with Liverpool, the first city to deploy testing as a combination of the traditional swab testing and the new rapid turn around lateral tests that are quite like pregnancy tests.So we have got to scale up testing, and as we find more and more positive cases we’ve got to scale up contact tracing as well. We are already the largest outbound calling centre in the UK, but it’s got to get bigger as we find more people with the disease, and we’ve got to get faster. Our turnaround times for both testing and contact tracing are improving, but this is the ultimate perishable good. We need to find people who have been in close contact with people who have got the disease within 24 to 48 hours. So there is a big job of work for my team to do to keep speeding up. And we can only do this as I have said through partnership.This is about working in partnership with the public and the private sector, with national and local organisations and with everyone in the country. And I’m sure that many people watching this have read that Stan McChrystal’s book ‘Team of Teams’, this is the ultimate team of teams – we are actually 60 million people on the team. We have all got to change our behaviour just a little bit to come forward with the testing to isolate when we are told to. That’s how you break the chains of transmission.And the fourth area we are working on is how we get even better at using the data in the analysis to drive insight in action we can stamp on outbreaks faster and faster. We know so much more than we did 6 months ago about how the disease is spreading. We’ve got the data from Test and Trace, we’ve got the data from waste water. We’ve got data from all these surveys using the testing capacity we have built. We are all learning how to use that to stop it spreading.And I know that it is really tough and horrible for everyone as we head towards Thursday. But I am actually quite hopeful that we have more tools in the armoury than we had before. As a society we have learnt about the first line of defence, washing our hands, keeping our distance and wearing our face mask. Test and Trace did not exist in March. It is a scale organisation the same size as Asda and it will get even bigger. And so our second line of defence is growing, and technology will help us through a combination of vaccine, mass testing and better treatment. There is a lot for us actually to be optimistic about that we will crack this.