OTTAWA – A possible clue to how the federal Liberal government will arrive at its annual immigration targets for 2018, to be unveiled Wednesday, can be found in a similar provincial plan unveiled just last week.Quebec — which sets its own immigration targets in connection with the federal government — is aiming to bring in some 51,000 people, a target that is unchanged from 2017.That has observers saying they expect the federal numbers for next year to remain largely in line with the 2017 goal of 300,000 newcomers, though a slight bump is likely.Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen offered no details Monday.“The main priority will be to focus very strongly on the real need of employers, and many sectors of the economy, saying we need immigration,” Hussen said before question period.“We need skilled immigrants to not only come and fill certain jobs, but also create more jobs for everyone else, and prosperity for all of us.”In 2016, the government’s economic advisory council recommended boosting levels to 450,000 over the next five years to address an aging workforce and declining birth rate, both of which are leaving major gaps in Canada’s labour market.But that bumps up against practical considerations, said Kareem El-Assal, a senior researcher with the Conference Board of Canada.“It would require a significant increase in federal government expenditures to hire visa officers to send them overseas and whatnot, and the question is where will the money come from.”The same holds true of a call for the government to set immigration targets for a wider window, not just annually. At the last federal-provincial meetings of ministers responsible for immigration, all emerged united on the need for a multi-year approach. Many eyes are on whether Hussen follows through.Being able to plot out immigration over a longer period of time would lend additional certainty for everyone from employers to refugee settlement agencies, who are among those calling for a three-year planning document.“The challenges and opportunities that immigration provides to this country necessitate a much broader public consultation than one focused on annual levels planning,” said the Canadian Immigrant Settlement Sector Alliance in its briefing note to Hussen on the immigration plan.“We strongly believe that we should be moving beyond annual level plans to multi-year immigration level plans.”Hussen wouldn’t say Monday whether that’s his plan.When the issue was raised with focus groups earlier this year, some respondents said they felt a multi-year approach would give immigrants false hope that if their application wasn’t accepted one year, it might be the next.And backlogs are already plaguing many parts of Canada’s immigration system.For example, the 2017 levels plan called for about 15,000 people to be admitted under the in-Canada asylum system. So far this year, there have been upwards of 35,000 claims filed in Canada, thanks to a surge in asylum seekers at the border — 10,000 of those claims are still pending before the Immigration and Refugee Board.Hussen said Monday that space will be created within the levels plan to address backlogs, but at the same time he also suggested refugee levels will be maintained.That’s sure to be a disappointment to the United Nations, which is also watching the plan closely to see whether Canada increases spaces for resettled refugees. The UN had hoped to see Canada take the lead at a time when the politics in other countries — most notably the U.S. — have led to refugee programs being scaled back.But domestic politics is at play as well, said Jack Jedwab, the executive vice-president of the Association for Canadian Studies.While the same socio-cultural concerns about immigration that dominate political debate around the globe don’t seem to be as much in play in Canada, they still underpin the immigration debate here to an extent, he said, so the government will only go far.“I think they feel that there is still come concern out there about a significant increase and they want to be sensitive to that.”
PTI took the lead midway into the first half through the individual brilliance of Asogbon Seyifunmi who tore the SEPLAT defence to shreds before slotting the ball home.The first half ended with PTI maintaining their slim 1-0 lead.On resumption for the second half, the two sides intensified their efforts, taking the battle to each other’s territory. It was SEPLAT that were soon rewarded for their industry as one of their midfeilders was brought down just outside the third half. Captain Nwulu Daniel stepped up to take responsibility and he did it so well. He defied the wall arranged by PTI defence and tucked in a thunderous shot that beat the flatfooted PTI goalkeeper for the equaliser. The stands quaked as spectators rose to salute the free-kick.It became a ding dong affair until the contrversial penalty which was converted to give PTI the victory.A dominant NNPC demolished NCDMB 3-1 in the third match of the day.NCDMB scored first after a fluid move from the nidfield. The first half ended 1-1.When hostilities resumed in the second half, NNPC fell back on experience and wore down their opponents. They scored two more goals to seal victory.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The defending champions, ExxonMobil, NNPC and PTI football teams recorded impressive wins yesterday in the opening day matches of the preliminaries of the Nigeria Oil and Gas Industry Games being played at the Legacy Pitch, National Stadium, Lagos.In the opening match, the defending champions ExxonMobil dismissed NLNG 2-0, hanks to Tayo Akande’s brace.The second match saw PTI beat SEPLAT 2-1 in a pulsating encounter that was nearly marred by the centre referee who made some controversial calls. A highly contested penalty call against SEPLAT saw their players stop play temporarily. However, their decision to stage a walk out was later rescinded after appeals from officials of both sides. The resultant penlty was expertly converted by Shetima Bukar to give PTI the victory.
It is said that when fate closes one door, it opens another.Thursday night, fate dealt the Kansas City Chiefs a rotten blow when reigning NFL Most Valuable Player Patrick Mahomes dislocated a kneecap. Chiefs teammate Travis Kelce told ESPN, “His knee didn’t even look like a knee. It was all out of whack. I couldn’t even describe it.”Clearly Mahomes won’t be coming back soon.But wait, was that a knock on the door? Yeah, we get it. Not a week goes by without a Colin Kaepernick …
Loading… Promoted ContentWhy Do So Many Digital Assistants Have Feminine Names & Voices?7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?Top 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right Now10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better13 kids at weddings who just don’t give a hootA Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of Art Manchester United are joining the battle for Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. The Sun says United are considering a stunning bid to try to sign Aubameyang, and are confident they could land the player for £50m. Aubameyang has become one of the most lethal strikers in the Premier League since signing for the Gunners in 2018 and he has scored an impressive 61 goals in 96 appearances in all competitions.Advertisement There is doubt over his future at the club, however, as his contract is due to expire next June, and Arsenal are worried that he could leave on a free transfer. Read Also:Bellerin demands Arsenal captaincy should Aubameyang quit They are therefore thought to be considering selling the player this summer and United are set to launch a surprise bid. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享