New Delhi: The BJP on Monday termed as “very irresponsible and provocative” Congress leader P Chidambaram’s comment that the Union government revoked Jammu and Kashmir’s special status because it is a Muslim-dominated state and had not done so if Hindus were in a majority there. While Law Minister and BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad accused the former home minister of making a very irresponsible and provocative statement, BJP leaders Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, also a Union minister, and Shivraj Singh Chouhan said the Congress was giving the issue a communal angle. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details Speaking at a public event in Chennai, Chidambaram slammed the BJP-led NDA government on Sunday for ending the state’s special status. “If J-K was a Hindu-dominated state, the BJP would not have done this. They did it only because the region is dominated by Muslims,” he had alleged. Defending the decision to revoke Article 370, Naqvi said the government has rectified a very big mistake made decades ago by the Congress. “What he has said is an attempt to give communal colour to the issue even though the decision is in national interest,” he said. Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from Thursday Chouhan, a former Madhya Pradesh chief minister, said it was the Congress’s “narrow mindedness” that it is looking at the issue through a “Hindu-Muslim” prism. Prasad said the decision taken by the government is in the interest of the people of Jammu and Kashmir, and their development. Hitting out at the Congress, he asked if it was not true that over 42,000, mostly Muslims, had died in the Valley during decades of violence.
Top StoriesSC Refuses To Review Its Order Dismissing PIL Seeking Guidelines To Curb Fake News [Read Order] LIVELAW NEWS NETWORK27 Jun 2020 10:34 PMShare This – xThe Supreme Court recently refused to review its order dismissing a writ petition seeking framing of guidelines to curb the spread of fake news through print, electronic and social media. A PIL was filed in 2019 by a lawyer, Anuja Kapur, highlighting fake news and misinformation flooded media in the wake of recent India-Pakistan tension, with videos of previous air-shows and photos…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Supreme Court recently refused to review its order dismissing a writ petition seeking framing of guidelines to curb the spread of fake news through print, electronic and social media. A PIL was filed in 2019 by a lawyer, Anuja Kapur, highlighting fake news and misinformation flooded media in the wake of recent India-Pakistan tension, with videos of previous air-shows and photos of crashing fighter jets were being peddled as the latest from both the countries on various platforms. She had sought directions to the Central Ministries of Law & Justice, Information and Broadcasting and Electronics and Information Technology to constitute a Committee for framing guidelines for curbing fake news. She contended that the spread of fake news is leading to various incidents of mob lynching, communal riots and breakdown of law and order. In April 2019, the Court, refusing to entertain the writ petition, had dismissed it in limine. Advocate Anuja, thereafter, filed a review petition against the order of dismissal.We do not find any ground, whatsoever, to entertain the Review Petition, said the three judge bench comprising of CJI SA Bobde, Justices L. Nageswara Rao and Sanjiv Khanna in an order passed last month.Click here to Read/Download OrderRead Order Subscribe to LiveLaw, enjoy Ad free version and other unlimited features, just INR 599 Click here to Subscribe. All payment options available.loading….Next Story
Diego Costa will return up front for Chelsea against Premier League champions Manchester City on Sunday as Jose Mourinho tries to manage the striker’s fragile hamstrings.Mourinho opted to select the Spain striker, who has scored seven times in four Premier League matches this term, only as a substitute in Wednesday night’s 1-1 draw with Schalke in Champions League Group G.The £32million summer signing from Atletico Madrid is not ready to play more than one game a week, according to Mourinho, after a hamstring problem recurred while on international duty earlier this month.“Everybody’s ready to play,” Mourinho said.“Diego is not in the best conditions, but he will start the game. He plays this game, he cannot play against Bolton. It’s as simple as that.“I know clearly that we have to try to protect him until he gets completely fit.” Diego Costa 1
A new and improved website promoting Atlantic Canadian seafood will help the industry compete in a global market. The website address is www.atlanticcanadaexports.ca. The Atlantic Canada Seafood Trade Group has been working with the seafood industry and associations to re-create an enticing and user-friendly website that connects national and international buyers to the product diversity Atlantic Canada has to offer. “Not only will this robust website tell the story of Atlantic Canada’s product quality and diversity, it will also connect national and international buyers with Atlantic Canadian companies to help build long-term business relationships,” said Sterling Belliveau, Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture. The website guides buyers to Atlantic Canadian companies and products that are available, searchable by company, product or by keyword. Buyers can learn more about the care the industries take to move toward building sustainable fisheries. A new trade calendar enables buyers to identify various networking opportunities with participating Atlantic Canadian companies. It also caters to chefs and consumers by providing recipes that can be made with seafood purchased locally. The website is available in English and French and is accessible by all mobile devices anywhere in the world. “Atlantic Canada is proud of the rich history of its fish and seafood industries, as well as the devotion of aquaculturists, fishermen, processors, wholesalers, traders, retailers and restaurants for moving the product from the ocean to the plate carefully and quickly,” said Mr. Belliveau. Fisheries departments from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, and the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency worked together to help develop the project.