India Today Web Desk LondonSeptember 17, 2019UPDATED: September 17, 2019 14:00 IST America’s Sarah Thomas swam the English Channel for a record 4th time. (Twitter: Sally Bundock)HIGHLIGHTSSarah Thomas, 37, swam the English channel for the 4th timeSarah achieved the milestone after undergoing breast cancer treatment a year agoThe American achieved the 84-mile challenge in 54 hours and 13 minutesAmerica’s Sarah Thomas has become the first person to swim the English Channel four times non-stop. The ultra-marathon runner achieved the feat by finishing the 84-mile challenge in 54 hours and 13 minutes.Sarah Thomas’ milestone achievement comes a year after she completed her breast cancer treatment after having diagnosed with an aggressive form of disease in November 2017.After resgistering her name in the record books, the American celebrated her success with champagne and chocolates.Sarah began her challenge in the wee hours of Sunday and finished it about 06:30 BST on Tuesday as she dedicated her success to all the cancer survivors.Extraordinary, amazing, super-human!!! Just when we think we’ve reached the limit of human endurance, someone shatters the records. Huge congratulations to Sarah Thomas on swimming the English Channel 4x continuously!!! pic.twitter.com/kOa9QlereH— Lewis Pugh (@LewisPugh) September 17, 2019″I just can’t believe we did it.” Sarah was quoted as saying by BBC.”I’m pretty tired right now,” she said and added that she has planned to sleep for the day.”Every length had something that was really hard about it. Coming back from France the last time was definitely hard. It took forever and the current pushed me all over.”I got stung in the face by a jellyfish and it wasn’t as cold as I thought it might be but it was still chilly.”Only four swimmers had previously crossed the English Channel three times without stopping. Before Ms Thomas no-one had ever completed a fourth leg.advertisementFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAnita Jat Tags :Follow English Channel Next Cancer survivor becomes first person to swim English Channel four times non-stopSarah Thomas’ milestone achievement comes a year after she completed her breast cancer treatment having diagnosed with an aggressive form of disease in November 2017.advertisement
Major players in the mining sector are clambering over each other to get a part of the new dual-fuel hybrid truck that has been doing circuits for the past two years at New Hope Group’s New Acland coal mine in Queensland, Australia, according to the mining company.The mine was the place of choice to conduct the trial of the latest innovative technology in dual fuel trucks by project partners Mine Energy Solutions (MES) and Hastings Deering.General Manager of New Acland mine, David Vink says the project was a great example of industry collaboration.“We provided the trial site and wherewithal, MES the technology and Hastings Deering the hardware – so to speak (truck and engines),” he said.He explains the revolutionary technology enables the conversion of high horse powered diesel engines from 100% diesel to dual fuel operation, using natural gas as the dominant fuel through sequential gas injection. The trial was on a Cat 789C haul truck (pictured).“When MES first looked for project partners in Queensland, there was no one interested,” Vink said.“But we could see the potential for this technology from the outset.“Now, after nearly 24 months operating on site, clocking more than 6,200 hours, we’ve piqued the interest of the big boys and the sceptics.“We’ve taken the technology from an R&D project to ready for commercial application. Actually beyond that – it has already been taken up commercially which has signalled the end of the trial.”Vink said the trial was originally planned to run for just six months in 2016 but, off the back of data collected as the trial progressed, the technology itself evolved even further.“The trial is complete, MES’s technology has been proven and we are pleased to be part of this exciting project that is now going global,” Vink said.
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error PORTLAND, Ore. >> The Los Angeles Clippers got their seventh straight win and sixth without Blake Griffin but all the attention was on a guy who didn’t play. Trail Blazers guard CJ McCollum sat out of Portland’s 109-98 loss to the Clippers on Wednesday night because he was mistakenly left off the active roster that was turned in before the game. The “clerical error” caused confusion at the start of the game, but ultimately it meant that Portland’s second-leading scorer couldn’t play.That took some of the attention away from Chris Paul, who had 21 points and a season-high 19 assists for the Clippers, who have the league’s longest active winning streak at seven games. And that’s come despite the absence of Griffin, the team’s leading scorer with an average of 23.2 points a game, because of a partially torn left quadreiceps tendon. “Now we’re playing a lot smoother; we’re just trying to hold it down until the big fella gets back,” Paul said. “I’m going to keep saying this, we’re holding this together `till 32 gets back.”DeAndre Jordan had 14 points and 14 rebounds for his sixth consecutive double-double for the Clippers. Damian Lillard had 20 points and nine assists, while Mason Plumlee had a season-high 19 points for the Blazers, who trailed by as many as 23 points but closed the gap in the fourth quarter. Mo Harkless dunked to narrow Portland’s deficit to 97-91 with 4:35 left. Paul Pierce’s 3-pointer pulled the Clippers out front 101-91 and the Blazers couldn’t catch up. The uncertainty over McCollum, who is second on the team with an average of 21 points a game, marred the start of the game for the Blazers. Allen Crabbe started in place of McCollum, who was dressed and on the bench at the start of the game but left for the locker room after the first quarter. Shortly before the break, the Blazers announced that McCollum was inactive “due to a clerical error in the NBA’s active list reporting.”Afterward, Blazers coach Terry Stotts took full responsibility for the error. “I signed the paper without really noticing it, but it’s my fault for not looking at it,” Stotts said. “Although we caught the error, we thought we’d caught it in time, apparently we did not, so CJ was ruled inactive, and that’s that.”McCollum said he was putting it all in the past. “It’s unfortunate, but it’s over with. Just moving on to the next game,” he said. The Clippers jumped out to an early 22-10 lead on Pierce’s 3-pointer. They extended the lead to 35-23 on Jamal Crawford’s 3-pointer and free throw. It was his 45th 4-point play, an ongoing NBA record.Los Angeles led 63-40 at the half, the team’s largest lead of the game. Lillard hit a 3-pointer that pulled the Blazers within 70-58 in the third quarter, then added another 3 that pulled Portland within 89-79 with just under 10 minutes left. Gerald Henderson’s tip and Harkless’ fast break layup and free throw closed the gap to 89-83. Wesley Johnson answered for the Clippers with a 3-pointer his first basket of the game to stop Portland’s momentum. It didn’t help Portland that Lillard was still getting back into form after missing seven games with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. The Blazers’ All-Star came back on Monday against the Memphis Grizzlies, but Portland fell 91-78. The Clippers were coming off a 130-99 victory over Philadelphia
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York There’s a stretch of Cantiague Rock Road in Hicksville, just north of Hicksville High School, its middle school and Lee Avenue Elementary, where pedestrians aren’t permitted to stand on the sidewalk.There are no signs stating this, no barricades cordoning the area off, no flashing lights demarcating a construction zone or telling passersby it’s private property. But if you stop there for even a few moments to take a gander at the fenced-off property—three decrepit-looking buildings and their equally decrepit-looking parking lots—any day of the week, during any time of day, 24/7, someone will unquestionably instruct you to keep moving, to shuffle along, scram.If your intention is to snap a few photos, as mine was at about 3 p.m. on the Sunday before Christmas Eve, you’ll get more than advice; undoubtedly you’ll receive an angry visit by one of several charged-up, plain-clothed men shouting for you to buzz off—they might even chase you away.There’s really not much to look at, though. Sandwiched between a distribution warehouse on its south, a driving range and children’s playgrounds of Nassau County’s Cantiague Park on the east, and the county’s Department of Public Works headquarters on the north, the three parcels at 140, 100 and 70 Cantiague Rock Road are silent and devoid of life.The latter’s facade is a beat-up, worn-down brown, with cloudy windows, drawn blinds and the faded outline of its former tenant, Air Techniques, tattooed on its side. At 100 next door stands a naked flagpole, a vast loading dock area long since abandoned and weeds towering several feet high. Several massive metal frames arch above an alley between it and the 140 building, which has part of its exterior wall peeling off and is covered in shredded plastic.It’s here where an outhouse-shaped guard booth is manned around the clock.“Off the property,” said an agitated, bespectacled, middle-aged man sporting a moustache when a camera crew and I recently visited to ask a few questions. A mock “Terrorist Hunting Permit” was fastened to his window. “This is private property. Get off the property,” he commanded, refusing to explain who he worked for before slamming the door.[Click here for more photos of Hicksville’s atomic waste site]There’s a secret in Hicksville. It’s a secret that only a handful of residents of this suburban hamlet know all too well while way too many others haven’t a clue. A secret that has already cost one of the biggest communications companies in the world millions and may end up costing them much, much more. It’s a secret that no matter how tight a lid the security guards stationed there or the site’s owners, Verizon, try to keep on it, the truth is literally leaking out—bleeding into the soil, contaminating the air and poisoning Long Island’s precious groundwater supply.It’s a revelation that Ronkonkoma resident Gerard Depascale, a father of three and recent grandfather, and his former coworker Liam Neville, of Bayside, Queens fought relentlessly to find out, a reality they live with every single moment of their lives, one the global communications giant is doing everything in its power to control. It’s an ongoing tragedy that a federal judge recently made even more tragic for the plaintiffs; a reality that will undoubtedly affect more families in the future.This vacant 10.5-acre stretch of land, just north of those schools, separated by a chain-link fence from the public park and situated directly across the street from Nassau BOCES Career Preparatory High School, is a radioactive toxic waste site where nuclear elements and fuel rods were fabricated and processed during the nation’s early atomic energy program in the 1950s and 1960s.Uranium was burned here. It was released into the surrounding neighborhood from an open “smelting oven,” according to one former worker—or within a “burning building,” according to another. It was also buried here, along with nickel and much more. Unknown amounts of chlorocarbons—Tetrachloroethene, or Perchloroethylene, known as PCE and PERC, respectively—and byproduct chlorinated hydrocarbon Trichloroethylene, or TCE (classified as a human carcinogen by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), were dumped into unlined sumps and leeching pools, and currently reside in the soil, the groundwater and have volatilized into the air.People who unknowingly worked atop the site, such as Depascale and Neville, have contracted rare—make that extraordinarily rare and obscure—cancers.Neville has a rare kidney cancer called membranous nephropathy. Following years of dialysis, he was lucky enough to find a donor and receive a transplant, though now he’s currently facing some complications.Depascale has an even rarer cancer, called extra-skeletal myxoid chondrosarcoma. It’s Stage Four and it’s in his bone marrow.Besides the unquantifiable pain and anguish suffered by the two and their loved ones are insurmountable medical bills and an inability to work, not to mention their shortened lifespan.Depascale and Neville, both former employees of Magazine Distributors, Inc. (MDI), who worked at the 100 building and its warehouse from about 1990 till 2002, when the company suddenly moved (employees were told it was the end of their lease; court transcripts reveal General Telephone and Electronics Corp. (GTE), who merged with Verizon in 2000, “assumed” the lease from MDI after purchasing the 140 property in 1999 for contamination remediation efforts and the 70 location in 2004) are literally battling for survival.They’re also fighting for justice.Depascale, his wife Joanne and Neville filed a toxic tort lawsuit against Verizon and its predecessors claiming negligence and liability, among other charges, in Nassau County State Supreme Court in 2007. The case was moved to federal court at the request of the defendants, who argued defense under government contractor immunity law—which protects contractors who perform federal work from lawsuits such as theirs. The jury heard expert testimony from both sides, also learning that an untold number of records relating to the Hicksville site had simply disappeared from GTE/Verizon’s files. Near the end of the trial, the presiding judge in that case, U.S. District Judge Leonard D. Wexler, impaneled an additional two alternate jurors, and according to Neville, ordered that for them to win, the verdict would have to be unanimous.It was, and on Nov. 12, 2009 after just eight days of testimony, the jury issued its verdict, awarding the trio $12 million on the grounds of causation, negligence and damages, finding they got past the federal contractor immunity.That detail of this saga has been reported before—as well as the settlement of a 2002 complaint alleging that nearly 300 Hicksville residents who live near the site developed cancers and related injuries because of it.Unreported is that more than five months after Depascale and Neville’s win, following an appeal by Verizon, Wexler, in the rare instance of a judge going against the will of a jury—ordered the case be retried, on limited grounds, effectively nullifying the award and ultimately, deeming the jury’s verdict a “miscarriage of justice.”They lost that trial—Neville bleeding through his shirt in the courtroom, though restricted to tell the jury that he or Depascale were even ill. They appealed, Verizon filed a cross-appeal, and now the pair is set to present oral arguments for why Wexler’s order for retrial should be overridden and the jury’s award reinstated before the Second Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals Jan. 15. Yet it’s not simply reparations for their medical debts that they’re fighting for now.The fate of countless other former residents, former MDI employees and others who’ve worked at the site may literally hang in the balance, since Wexler ordered a stay on another pending class action “medical monitoring” suit that could include innumerable plaintiffs until Depascale and Neville’s appeal has been decided.A Press investigation—part of an ongoing series into how its industrial and military past is affecting the Island’s current-day environment and residents and consisting of the analysis of hundreds of pages of state and federal records, including investigative reports concerning contamination to the soil, air and water at the site, remediation plans, maps, assessments, internal correspondence and thousands of pages of court filings and transcripts, among others—has discovered that GTE, Verizon and state regulators certainly knew or should have known about the site’s contamination years before Neville and Depascale and the hundreds of others who worked along Cantiague Rock Road ever stepped foot there.It reveals a twisted and unconscionable game of pass-the-buck when it comes to informing these workers of even the potential for adverse health effects, a game that continues to this day. What’s absolutely indisputable is that many people living around that site and who’ve worked there have developed horrific cancers. And that some have already died from these.Additionally, the records reveal that despite several state-supervised “voluntary” remediation efforts at the site—the largest conducted by GTE, which one report states included the excavation and removal of at least approximately 100,000 tons of contaminated soil and unearthed, partially filled tanks of radioactive and carcinogenic elements and chemicals—it remains contaminated and its true ramifications on the health and safety of not only Hicksville residents, but all Long Islanders (since we all share drinking water aquifers), may never be known.Neville, a bachelor, self-professed pessimist, horse bettor and the more outspoken of the pair, staked he and Depascale’s odds in court at 60-40 in Verizon’s favor when I first sat down with them six months ago. Recently, those self-ascribed odds have gotten worse. He says 70-30 now, in Verizon’s favor.“You ever feel like punching someone in the face and there’s no one there to punch, you’re that angry?” says Neville of how he felt when he learned what was beneath his workplace. “This is a 60 Minutes episode. This happens to somebody else. This doesn’t happen to me. This is insane.”For Depascale, who has a family to provide for, things have been even worse. Adding even more insult to so much injury, his workman’s compensation claim—which he originally won, is back in court again following two appeals.“Betrayed,” is how he feels. “They should have told us that that place was contaminated. If I knew about it, at least it would have been my choice to be there, not their choice.“It’s been a nightmare since I got sick,” he says.Requests for comment to the plaintiffs’ attorney, Joseph D. Gonzalez, and William H. Pratt, a lead attorney for the defendants in the litigation, went unanswered for this story.