Washington: Lee Duck-hee became the first deaf player to win an ATP main draw match, waiting out a rain delay to beat Henri Laaksonen in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The 21-year-old from South Korea was two points from victory when thunderstorms swept through the area. When he and Switzerland’s Laaksonen returned some five hours later Lee quickly polished off a 7-6 (7/4), 6-1 victory on Monday. “I never expected to get through this one,” said Lee, who had won the final three points of the first-set tiebreaker. “I thought that I was just going to do my best and try to stay focused, but I came out a winner.” Lee, ranked 212nd in the world, will play third-seeded Hubert Hurkacz, the world number 40 from Poland, in the second round. “I’m going to go to the match with the same attitude,” said Lee, who has pursued his tennis dream despite the difficulties posed by his disability. He turned pro at 15 and achieved his best ATP singles ranking of 130th in the world in 2017. “I’m going to do my best and see what happens,” he said. Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time. atpLee Duck-heetenniswinston salem open First Published: August 20, 2019, 10:07 AM IST
The Allahabad High Court was at the centre of high drama on Monday after an unidentified couple were allegedly ‘abducted’ from outside its premises just hours before it was to hear the case of BJP MLA Rajesh Mishra’s daughter seeking police protection from her father for marrying a Dalit against his wishes.Meanwhile, the HC granted police protection to Mr. Mishra’s daughter Sakshi Mishra and her husband Ajitesh, who had last week created a sensation after alleging their lives were under threat from her legislator father over their inter-caste marriage.The court directed the police and the administration to ensure that the family of the woman “shall not interfere in the married lives” of the couple. The police should see that “counsel for the petitioners and also the family members of the petitioners are not brought to any harm in any manner whatsoever”, a Bench of Justice Siddhartha Varma said in his order.The court also directed Ms. Mishra and Mr. Ajitesh to get their marriage registered under the U.P. Marriage Registration Rules, 2017 within two weeks.There were also reports that while appearing in court, Mr. Ajitesh was roughed up by unknown persons. However, there was no police confirmation.Much of the attention, however, was drawn by the unidentified couple who were allegedly abducted from outside the HC in a black SUV bearing the tag ‘chairman’ on its rear wind shield. The couple turned out to be a Muslim youth and a Muslim minor girl from Moradabad and Amroha district.
LONDON (Reuters) – Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp has hailed Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola as the best manager in the world as the Premier League rivals gear up for Sunday’s top-of-the-table clash at Anfield.Leaders Liverpool have a six-point advantage over the defending champions and the match is a crucial one for both sides.The build-up has been coloured by Guardiola saying Liverpool’s Sadio Mane sometimes dived and then backtracking.Klopp, who has taken a dig at City’s “tactical fouling”, drew a line under the verbal sparring on Thursday in an interview with Sky Sports television. “We constantly get asked questions and sometimes we say what is in that second in our mind without thinking about anything else, that we are in public, that there is a camera,” said the German.“I couldn’t have more respect for Pep Guardiola, that’s how it is. I’ve known him for so long, for me still it’s a big thing to be his contender. “For me he’s the best manager in the world and we have the chance to win against his team which is very difficult but possible. That’s enough for me.”Klopp dismissed a suggestion that the match was as much one Liverpool could not afford to lose as must win. “For me, it’s a 100% want-to-win game — 100% with all I have,” he said. “We want to win and we try everything to make that happen, which is difficult enough. And then after that we will see how the situation is and use that situation.“But it’s a big one, we know that. The whole world will be watching that game, I would 100%, everybody I know will, so it’s a massive one.” Champions League winners Liverpool lost at Manchester City last season after a goalless draw at Anfield and were beaten to the title by a single point.“Last year’s performance of City at Liverpool was probably the biggest show of respect I ever got, that one of my teams ever got, because they played different to what they usually do,” said Klopp. “I expect a tight game. How exactly it will be, I don’t know.”
Home » News » Agencies & People » Purplebricks founder Kenny Bruce’s next job? Mowing the grass! previous nextAgencies & PeoplePurplebricks founder Kenny Bruce’s next job? Mowing the grass!Multi-millionaire reveals he’s not yet ready to reveal his next ‘project’ as he concentrates on gardening and football.Nigel Lewis13th August 201903,747 Views Purplebricks co-founder Kenny Bruce has revealed his new lifestyle after leaving the company in June, including a somewhat more relaxed approach to living.The multi-millionaire, who is the younger of the two siblings, stayed on for several months longer than his brother Michael to run its customer service division in the UK before leaving on June 21st this year.The 44-year-old reveals that he has thrown himself into gardening at his opulent home in Northern Ireland, celebrating with his father whenever the football team he supports, Larne FC, wins and taking his son to football matches.Bruce has also said that he went on holiday to Crete last month with his family for two weeks without doing any work while he was away; clearly a first.Post PurplebricksThe more laid-back approach life comes despite his pledge to ‘not let the grass grow under his feet’ back in June and a heavy hint that he and his brother had another project under way.This is on top of a ‘multi-million pound’ investment in Larne football club, which has been spent on redeveloping its Inver Park stadium and which is part of his promise to fans to ‘leave a legacy’ in the town.Bruce says he wants his millions to help the club reach the Premier League, and told the BBC recently that he will ensure ‘whatever it takes financially’ to achieve that.larne fc Purplebricks Kenny Bruce August 13, 2019Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021