Fine Gael Minister Joe McHugh has said Fianna Fáil’s climate and environmental policy threatens major road projects like the A5.The Minister for Education and Skills hit out after comments by Deputy Timmy Dooley on the radio this morning in relation to prioritising Government spending away from the national roads programme.This follows on from Fianna Fáil’s support in recent days of a Green Party/Social Democrats motion to delay or cancel key parts of our regional investment under the National Development Plan (NDP). Minister McHugh said: “We now know from the comments and actions of senior Fianna Fáil members that they are looking at taking a swipe at funding for key roads projects given half a chance.“Mirroring the strategy of the Green Party, Fianna Fáil’s Timmy Dooley said today that the national roads programme should be reprioritised. That’s an interesting word.“Fianna Fáil need to tell us which road projects they would like to abandon? I hope for the sake of Donegal, it’s not our much-needed A5 which will begin later this year.“This is a crucial route for those travelling from the north-west towards Dublin, for people living and working in Donegal, for those doing business, for tourism, for hauliers, farmers, fishermen and for regional growth. “And I hope the opposition isn’t thinking of the Bonagee bypass or the EU backed works planned for the N15/N13 Ballyybofey/Stranorlar region; the N56/N13 Letterkenny – Manorcunningham; or the N14 Manorcunningham – Lifford/Strabane link.“Fianna Fáil called for a 2:1 spend on public transport over roads. With Fine Gael in Government we are already spending big on public transport and cycleways, greenways all feature heavily in the NDP and the Climate Action Plan.“But we still need roads and we are committed to continuing the maintenance and improvements of our road network.“We believe there will be 1 million electric vehicles by 2030 and we will need continued investment in roads.“You’d really have to question how serious Fianna Fáil is about major national roads and transport projects. “It is not just about building new roads, it is often about maintaining and improving our current network, like the top-class improvements we made all along the N56 in Donegal and also at the Blue Banks near Letterkenny.“Are Fianna Fáil against improving road safety? Are they against meeting the needs of isolated rural communities? Fianna Fáil need to be clear with the public in relation to their stance on this.“If Fianna Fáil return to Government, which of our crucial road projects are they considering reprioritising,” Minister McHugh asked.Minister McHugh claims Fianna Fail will scrap key road projects was last modified: June 18th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalfianna failMinister Joe McHughROADS
Following four consecutive weeks of decline, weekly unemployment rose slightly. For the week of January 30, 2010, there were 1,072 new regular benefit claims for Unemployment Insurance last week, an increase of 50 from the week before. Altogether 14,961 new and continuing claims were filed, an increase of 126 from a week ago and 1,287 fewer than a year earlier. The Department also processed 5,059 First Tier claims for benefits under Emergency Unemployment Compensation, 2008 (EUC08), 127 more than a week ago. In addition, there were 3,370 Second Tier claims for benefits processed under the EUC08 program, which is an increase of 162 from the week before. The Unemployment Weekly Report can be found at: http://www.vtlmi.info/(link is external). Previously released Unemployment Weekly Reports and other UI reports can be found at: http://www.vtlmi.info/lmipub.htm#uc(link is external)
In cases recalling military dictatorship, one journalist beaten by police, another threatened by priest
News August 3, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 In cases recalling military dictatorship, one journalist beaten by police, another threatened by priest Receive email alerts On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia July 6, 2020 Find out more ArgentinaAmericas ArgentinaAmericas Follow the news on Argentina RSF_en December 4, 2019 Find out more News to go further News Journalists face archaic sanction of capital punishment in some parts of the world Latin American media: under control of families, economic and political elites November 19, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information News Organisation Reporters Without Borders voiced outrage today at the arbitrary arrest and beating of Darío Illanes of the El Tribuno regional daily by plain-clothes police using a car with no licence plates on 1 August in the northwestern city of Salta. The assault occurred while Illanes and other journalists were visiting a detention centre for minors.“This violent police unit using a car with no plates recalls the worst hours of military rule when police and soldiers kidnapped government opponents,” the organisation said. “Illanes was the victim of an unacceptable attack on his journalistic freedom and dignity as a human being for daring to investigate the highly sensitive topic of detained minors. Administrative sanctions against the policemen involved will not suffice. The federal authorities must intervene.”Illanes said he and several other journalists had gone to a detention centre holding about 100 minors with the aim of asking about a protest the previous day. From their cells, children and adolescents were telling them about cases of alleged mistreatment when three plain-clothes policemen arrived in a car with no plates, grabbed Illanes and hit him.They then took him to a cell out of view of the other journalist and continued to beat him. His colleagues could hear his cries for help and finally managed to obtain his release after an hour and a half. With injuries on various parts of his body, Illanes filed a complaint against the police for assault. Salta police chief Gilberto Pereyra later said the incident would be investigated and that the three policemen had been suspended. But he also accused Illanes of being in an “unauthorised sector.”The worst years of the military dictatorship were evoked by another incident this week. Freelance investigative journalist Alfredo Silletta and his family were threatened on 31 July by Father Carlos Miguel Buela, the founder of an extreme right-wing Catholic group called the Institute of the Incarnate Word. The threat was made after Silletta had an interview with Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, the archbishop of Buenos Aires and head of Argentina’s bishops, about the negative influence of such groups within the Catholic church, which was the subject of a book he wrote.Buela sent Silletta a letter with a highly-charged verse from the bible: “It would be better for him if a millstone were hung about his neck and he were cast into the sea (Luke 17, 2). May He have mercy on your soul.” It is being seen as an allusion to the way the military disposed of its opponents during the dictatorship by drugging them and tossing them into the River Plate from helicopters.“The Catholic church’s involvement with the military regime make this kind of comment all the more unacceptable,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The episcopal conference must sanction this priest and the judicial system should also deal with him.”
Officials in the UN refugee agency said that many factors including medical and education facilities were found to be reasons behind the declining number of Sri Lankan nationals return to their native country. “Some of them postpone their applications saying that they don’t want to discontinue medical treatments and education here. But so far nobody had complained to us about ‘safety’ as reason for not returning to their country,” an official said. With monetary aid from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), more than 1,600 Sri Lankan Tamils living in Tamil Nadu as refugees have returned to their country so far since January 2012.According to the New Indian Express, officials of the UNHCR, who have their field office in the city, said that about 1,264 Sri Lankan Tamils, who were living in special camps across the State, had returned through voluntary repatriation to their country between January and December 2012. This year, about 350 refugees have returned so far. In Chennai there are two open refugees’ camps – in Gummidipoondi and Puzhal. About 1,670 refugees returned to their country in 2011 which was comparatively lesser than 2,040 persons in 2010 after the end of war in 2009. The UNHCR also conducts checks for the safety of the refugee back in his country. “Once a person expresses his willingness to return and applies to us, we check if the place they want to settle is safe. We also do random monitoring of these people after they return. But if they face any trouble upon their return, they get back to us,” an official explained.There are over 60,000 refugees from the island nation living in refugee camps in Tamil Nadu which constitutes about 36 per cent of total number of refugees in the country.