Deputy Thomas Pringle has today expressed his anger at the Government’s negative campaigning on the upcoming referendum, describing their approach as “Machiavellian”.Speaking at Leaders’ Questions to the Tánaiste on the matter, the Independent TD for Donegal South-West outlined his concerns.“Doubt about future funding is the stick that this Government is using to beat the Irish people into submission on May 31st.” Deputy Pringle put forward that “If the EFSF funding will not be available, why then did European heads of state in a statement on March 30th state that any member state in a programme will be funded up to the point that they can return to the markets?“Applications for this funding can be made until the end of June 2013 – this is where Ireland is currently getting its funding from and therefore will not be considered a new applicant when the ESM is due to take effect, so we will not be subject to its conditionality for future funding.”He said Michael Noonan has said himself that there is a commitment that European authorities will continue to supply countries that are in programmes with money even when the programme is concluded, providing they fulfil the conditions of that programme.“This situation has not changed; the Government would just like us to think that it has in order for this Treaty to be passed. “The fact is that regardless of the Treaty vote, Ireland is guaranteed funding under the current programme – as long as it meets its targets. A Yes or No vote will not change this” said Pringle.He added “The Government is scaremongering the people of Ireland into voting Yes by making threats which are simply untrue. It certainly says a lot when these bully-boy tactics are what is being resorted to in an attempt to get this referendum passed.“Regardless of the outcome of this referendum, the people deserve to know the truth about our funding situation, something which the Government has so far denied us.“Ireland will not fall into a black hole of funding uncertainty if people decide to vote No. In fact, the uncertainty lies if we become subject to the dire fiscal regulations of the Treaty” stated Pringle.PRINGLE SLAMS GOVERNMENT’S ‘NEGATIVE’ CAMPAIGNING ON REFERENDUM was last modified: May 3rd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Deputy Thomas PringleFISCAL TREATY
Facebook Twitter LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: Advertisement Advertisement South Korea’s Culture Minister Cho Yoon-sun is to be arrested in connection with the blacklisting of 9,000 artistes.An arrest warrant, citing abuse of authority, was issued on Saturday morning local time by the Seoul Central District Court following a request from a team of special prosecutors investigating the blacklist. Cho recently acknowledged the existence of the list, but denied that she had authorized it.The list punished political opponents of the now impeached President Park Geun-hye by denying them state funding. Cultural industry personnel on the list included filmmakers Park Chan-wook (“The Handmaiden”), Bong Joon-ho (“Snowpiercer”) and actor Song Kang-ho (“The Age of Shadows”). The court also issued an arrest warrant for Kim Ki-choon, Park’s former chief of staff. He appeared in court Friday accused of creating the blacklist. Prosecutors argued in court on Friday that Kim and Choi needed to be detained in order to prevent them destroying evidence.Earlier in the week, special prosecutors were told that CJ Group, parent of Korea’s largest films group, was pressured by the Park government into making a series of patriotic movies… Advertisement
19 November 2010Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon discussed a range of human rights issues today with the head of Iran’s High Council for Human Rights, Mohammad Javed Ardeshir Larijani, at United Nations Headquarters. They exchanged views on specific human rights issues in Iran, as well as the operation of the country’s domestic human rights mechanisms, according to information provided by Mr. Ban’s spokesperson.The Secretary-General welcomed Iran’s invitation to the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights to visit Iran in 2011.Among the other issues discussed by the two men were intergovernmental processes dealing with human rights in Iran, such as the recent Human Rights Council Universal Periodic Review.The Universal Periodic Review is a process which involves a review by the Geneva-based Council of the records of all 192 UN Member States once every four years.
“We’re still on track in achieving our goal, the top two,” said Austria. “It’s still possible.”NorthPort made a late challenge behind Stanley Pringle and Nico Elorde but eventually dropped to 2-5.Later in the evening, Barangay Ginebra hung around the game all night before LA Tenorio hit crucial triples, Japeth Aguilar made a lead-saving block and Aljon Mariano capped a strong night with icing free throws to lead the Kings to a 100-97 victory over Phoenix.Tenorio tied Alvin Patrimonio’s “Iron Man” streak of 596 consecutive games played and made the night even more special by making the big shots to lead the Kings to a 4-3 card.“The streak is good but what’s more important is we got this victory,” said Tenorio.ADVERTISEMENT Fajardo pounded the Batang Pier with 40 points—a conference high—and 19 rebounds to help preserve the heavy lifting by Terrence Romeo early in the game and hand the Beermen their sixth win in nine outings.“It was a scary start for us,” said Beermen coach Leo Austria. “We didn’t have a good start. Usually if we have a good start … we’re able to control the tempo of the game. Fortunately, the players’ sense of urgency prevailed.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsRomeo, who finished with 23 points, kept the Beermen in the fight early, when the Batang Pier raced to leads of as many as 14 points.Fajardo was simply unstoppable as San Miguel stayed in the hunt for the playoff bonus awarded to the top two teams at the end of the preliminaries. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Eugenie Bouchard’s bid for Australian Open spot ends in qualifying Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netThere was the slow start and the shaky finish. But with June Mar Fajardo in the middle—literally—of everything, San Miguel Beer managed to pull this one off.The defending champions held off NorthPort, 113-107, to shore up their drive for a twice-to-beat incentive in the PBA Philippine Cup on Sunday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.ADVERTISEMENT Leo Austria, SMB wary of ‘more experienced’ Hotshots ahead of PBA Finals rematch PLAY LIST 01:33Leo Austria, SMB wary of ‘more experienced’ Hotshots ahead of PBA Finals rematch00:50Trending Articles01:42Despite decorated career, June Mar Fajardo is not yet done: ‘I don’t want to be stagnant’02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Phoenix still leads the league at 8-2 and still has an inside track at the twice-to-beat incentive.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Rogue cops marked as Gamboa’s targets in his appointment as PNP chief LATEST STORIES Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? MOST READ Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Dreamers trip shorthanded Alab-PH five View comments