Fiat’s shares rally after split as firm eyes Chrysler stock whatsapp Tags: NULL KCS-content SHARES in a slimmer Fiat and sister company Fiat Industrial made a choppy debut on the Milan market yesterday, while chief executive Sergio Marchionne said Fiat could increase its stake in Chrysler past 50 per cent this year. Fiat SpA, which contains Fiat’s car and engine business, opened at €7.03 (£6.07) yesterday, while Fiat Industrial traded at €8.99, a three per cent increase from the €15.43 closing price of the combined group on 30 December before the split. Fiat rallied almost 50 per cent last year. Fiat Industrial, the company whose assets include truck maker Iveco and tractor company CNH Global, has been split from the car-making business Fiat to allow the firms to forge different tie-ins.The new Fiat Industrial shares were indicated to debut at €6 according to analysts. Fiat, which now only comprises the rump auto group, was indicated to trade at €7.50. Fiat and the Milan bourse did not set reference prices that are sometimes used to guide investors. The split, which main investor John Elkann has called “a defining moment” in the history of the century-old Italian carmaker, is part of chief executive Sergio Marchionne’s efforts to revamp Fiat among Europe’s biggest industrial turnarounds. The plan could speed up a merger with US carmaker Chrysler, in which Fiat owns 20 per cent, and free Marchionne’s hands for other growth initiatives. However, Marchionne told reporters yesterday he doesn’t plan to merge operations with Chrysler, but added that Fiat could lift its stake to over 50 per cent this year if Chrysler returns to the stock market. “If Chrysler is listed this year, we should think about speeding up the option of increasing our stake,” said Marchionne. More From Our Partners Astounding Fossil Discovery in California After Man Looks Closelygoodnewsnetwork.orgRussell Wilson, AOC among many voicing support for Naomi Osakacbsnews.comLA news reporter doesn’t seem to recognize actor Mark Currythegrio.comPolice Capture Elusive Tiger Poacher After 20 Years of Pursuing the Huntergoodnewsnetwork.orgKansas coach fired for using N-word toward Black playerthegrio.comBrave 7-Year-old Boy Swims an Hour to Rescue His Dad and Little Sistergoodnewsnetwork.orgFort Bragg soldier accused of killing another servicewoman over exthegrio.comNative American Tribe Gets Back Sacred Island Taken 160 Years Agogoodnewsnetwork.orgFans call out hypocrisy as Tebow returns to NFL while Kaepernick is still outthegrio.com whatsapp by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksYou May LikeMisterStoryWoman Files For Divorce After Seeing This Photo – Can You See Why?MisterStoryMoneyPailShe Was A Star, Now She Works In ScottsdaleMoneyPailTotal PastThe Ingenious Reason There Are No Mosquitoes At Disney WorldTotal PastSerendipity TimesInside Coco Chanel’s Eerily Abandoned Mansion Frozen In TimeSerendipity TimesBrake For ItThe Most Worthless Cars Ever MadeBrake For ItBetterBe20 Stunning Female AthletesBetterBeElite HeraldExperts Discover Girl Born From Two Different SpeciesElite Heraldmoneycougar.comThis Proves The Osmonds Weren’t So Innocentmoneycougar.comZen HeraldThe Truth About Why ’40s Actor John Wayne Didn’t Serve In WWII Has Come To LightZen Herald Monday 3 January 2011 10:58 pm Show Comments ▼ Share
And with President George W. Bush now sending thousands more U.S. troops to Baghdad and western Anbar province, despite opposition in Congress and the American public’s increasing war weariness, the prospect looms of even higher casualties. The shadowy insurgency has managed to counter or compensate for every new U.S. military technique for defeating roadside bombs, which over time have proliferated and grown increasingly powerful. The U.S. has spent billions trying to counter that threat, and the Bush administration in its budget 2008 request to Congress this week asked for another $6.4 billion to find more effective defenses against it. The Pentagon’s terse death announcements only begin to tell the story: Sgt. Corey J. Aultz, 31, of Port Orchard, Wash., and Sgt. Milton A. Gist, 27, of St. Louis, died Jan. 30 in Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province, of wounds from an improvised bomb that detonated near their vehicle. Three days earlier, three soldiers – one just 19 years old – were killed by a roadside bomb in Taji, just north of Baghdad. And a week before that, four soldiers, from towns in the four corners of this country – Florida, New Hampshire, Oregon and California – were killed by a roadside bomb not far from Fallujah. WASHINGTON – More American troops were killed in combat in Iraq over the past four months – at least 334 through Jan. 31 – than in any comparable stretch since the war began, according to an Associated Press analysis of casualty records. Not since the bloody battle for Fallujah in 2004 has the death toll spiked so high. The reason is that U.S. soldiers and Marines are fighting more battles in the streets of the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, and other cities. The top killer is the roadside bomb, but hostile forces also have had more success lately shooting down U.S. helicopters. Pentagon officials said initial indications from the crash of a Marine CH-46 helicopter on Wednesday, killing all seven aboard, are that it was caused by mechanical trouble, not hostile fire. In some respects it is the urban warfare that U.S. commanders thought they had managed to largely avoid after U.S. troops entered Baghdad in early April 2003 and quickly toppled the Saddam Hussein regime. The increasingly urban nature of the war is reflected in the fact that a higher percentage of U.S. deaths have been in Baghdad lately. Over the course of the war, at least 1,142 U.S. troops have died in Anbar province, the heart of the Sunni Arab insurgency, through Feb. 6, according to an AP count. That compares with 713 in Baghdad. But since Dec. 28, 2006, there were more in Baghdad than in Anbar – 33 to 31. The surge in combat deaths comes as the Pentagon begins adding 21,500 troops in Iraq as part of Bush’s new strategy for stabilizing the country. Most are going to Baghdad, but some are being sent Anbar. With the buildup, U.S. forces will be operating more aggressively in Baghdad as they try to tamp down sectarian bloodshed, a tactical shift that senior military officials say raises the prospect of even higher U.S. casualties. “There’s clearly going to be an increased risk in this area,” Adm. William Fallon, Bush’s choice to be the next commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East, told his Senate confirmation hearing last week. Risk is already extraordinarily high from known threats, including roadside bombs. The frustrating fact about the hunt for a solution to the roadside bomb is that the Americans have improved their ability to find and disarm them before they detonate, and they have outfitted troops in better body armor. But the insurgents still manage to adjust: new tactics in planting the bombs, new, more powerful explosives, different means of detonating them and, amazingly, a seemingly endless supply of materials. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Friday that 70 percent of U.S. casualties are caused by such bombs. He said that lately Iran, allegedly in league with renegade Shiite groups in southern Iraq, has had a hand in supplying a more lethal version so powerful it can destroy a U.S. Abrams battle tank, which is shielded with heavy armor. On Jan. 22, Army National Guard Spc. Brandon L. Stout, 23, of Grand Rapids, Mich., was killed by one of those more powerful bombs, known as an explosively formed projectile, that went off near his vehicle in Baghdad. A week earlier, four soldiers were killed by a roadside bomb in the northern city of Mosul. It is not possible to fully track the trend in bomb-caused deaths by month. The U.S. military considers such information secret because it is considered potentially useful to the insurgents and their backers. Also, the Marines do not announce the specific cause of any of their combat deaths, whereas the Army does. Hostile forces also have had more success lately shooting down U.S. helicopters, Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, acknowledged Tuesday. He said four U.S. helicopters in recent weeks have been shot down by small arms fire, including a Black Hawk in which all 12 National Guard soldiers aboard were killed. What’s more, there have been troubling new twists to some other attacks, including the sneak attack in Karbala that killed five U.S. soldiers; four of them were abducted and executed by unknown gunmen. U.S. officials say they are studying the possibility that Iranian agents either planned or executed that Jan. 20 attack. A leading war critic, Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., said he was aware that U.S. casualties were rising, particularly in Anbar province. “It doesn’t surprise me at all because they are targeting American troops,” he said. Under a new approach announced by Bush on Jan. 10, U.S. troops will be paired up with Iraqi brigades in each of nine districts across Baghdad, rather than operating mainly from large U.S. bases. “Our troops are going to be inserted into the most difficult areas imaginable – right into neighborhoods, right in the face of the Iraqis,” Sen. Carl Levin, the Michigan Democrat who is chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said. “How are we going to avoid the inherent risks that are created?” The recent rise in U.S. combat deaths has developed with relatively little notice in Congress, which has focused on the broader issue of whether to begin withdrawing forces and, now, whether to opposed Bush’s troop buildup. The American public clearly has soured on the war. In an AP-Ipsos poll taken Jan. 8-10 , 62 percent said they thought, looking back, that it had been a mistake to go to war, while 35 percent said invading was the right decision. Gates, while not ruling out a rise in casualties during the buildup, told reporters Jan. 26 that he sees a possibility that some insurgents and renegade militias will back off temporarily “in the hope that they can wait us out and filter back once we’re gone.” That could mean a decline in the U.S. casualty rate, at least temporarily. And if Bush’s plan – which couples a troop buildup with stronger economic development efforts and a renewed push to get the Iraqis to reconcile their political differences – works as intended, then a drop-off in deaths might be longlasting. The 334 U.S. troops killed in action in Iraq over the past four months does not include 36 who died of non-hostile causes like vehicle accidents. The previous highest total for those killed in action during any four-month period was 308 between September and December 2004, which included the November battle to retake the city of Fallujah. The recent increase is not linked to variations in U.S. troop levels. That number shifted from about 137,000 troops at the end of January 2006 to a range of 130,000-150,000 during summer and fall before ending the year at 128,000. It has risen now to about 138,000, with the buildup in Baghdad just getting started. Since the start of the war in Iraq, nearly 3,100 U.S. troops have died, of which nearly 2,500 were killed in action.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The Andhra Pradesh Assembly seems to be having a ball – a fancy dress ball. Last fortnight, an independent MLA’s imitation of the chief minister’s distinctive attire led to an unseemly bout of bickering – and fisticuffs – on the floor of the house.It started when the MLA Baggidi Gopal,The Andhra Pradesh Assembly seems to be having a ball – a fancy dress ball. Last fortnight, an independent MLA’s imitation of the chief minister’s distinctive attire led to an unseemly bout of bickering – and fisticuffs – on the floor of the house.It started when the MLA Baggidi Gopal made a colourful appearance in the house decked in flowing ochre robes and a string of beads. Next day a band of eunuchs beat him and stole his cash in a suite of the legislators’ hostel. The matter came up in the house during zero hour on August 18 amid tension, which soon gave way to violence and ended in abrupt adjournment.The issue reached flashpoint when the Speaker, T. Satyanarayana, did not allow Gopal and S. Jaipal Reddy (Janata), who backed him, from referring to earlier attacks on Gopal in May. He had been expelled from the Telugu Desam on June 6 after he accused Chief Minister N.T. Rama Rao’s son-in-law, N. Chandrababu Naidu, of pressurising him to vacate the Punganur seat for him. Gopal also arraigned Rama Rao for failing to honour an election promise to open a college in his constituency.Not allowing discussion of these matters, the speaker, instead, asked the chief minister to reply. Incensed, Gopal, followed by some Congress(I) members advanced towards the speaker and threw an angavastram (shawl) at him.A saffron-clad Gopal apeing Rama Rao’s dress: Red ragTelugu Desam members responded by jumping into the melee and some members were hurt in the fracas. The issue was papered over at a meeting of leaders of all parties next day and when the house reassembled, the speaker remarked: “The unfortunate incident was a bad dream. I hope we will forget it.”But the Opposition had their reservations. The leader of the Opposition, A. Madan Mohan (Congress-I) said: “We certainly will extend our co-operation to the speaker provided he conducts himself in an objective manner and not as a member of the party.”Petty Bickering: The issue had its repercussions in the legislative council. Members protested against the attitude of the speaker and the ruling party by sitting in the well of the house to stall proceedings. Alluri Bapineedu, a bald-pated Congress(I) legislator, sported a turban in the house, describing it as “protection” for his head.During the budget debate in the legislative council a few days later. S. Basavapunnaiah demanded: “Is the chief minister dead?” He cited religious texts according to which those who took sanyas were regarded as dead. A former minister, K. Keshava Rao, alleged that Rama Rao was of “instable mind and therefore disqualified from being a legislator”.Rama Rao rode the storm unruffled: “I was guided by my own philosophy of life when I took to wearing saffron robes. I will not feel insulted if anyone else comes dressed in a similar manner.” He now wears a glittering gem-studded ornament in his left ear.Commented Telugu poet Boyi Bheemanna in the legislative council: “Rama Rao is like the Hindu deity Ardhanareeswara (half-female) representing the three crore women in the six crore Telugu speaking people. For a politician to sport these things is to ridicule the religious sentiments of the Hindus.”advertisementRama Rao with his controversial earring: UnruffledThe chief minister moved office and house on August 14. He vacated the building that was built five years ago to house the chief minister’s office into an older building, the move involving over Rs 1 lakh.The chief minister’s office is, meanwhile, sealed – in case Rama Rao changes his mind. His ‘ashram’ home – a tiled roof bungalow with teak panelling, brass fittings and a 25-ft high central hall – is nearing completion. Meanwhile, the antics in Andhra Pradesh are rapidly degenerating into a farce.Chortled lawyer and civil rights campaigner K.G. Kannabiran: “All these are travails not of democratic politics but obscurantism and a one-man fancy dress competition.”
Oceanic stratification represents an effective mechanism to reduce vertical mixing of the water column, thereby locking up carbon dioxide (CO2) in the deep sea and preventing air–sea exchange of CO2. It has been proposed that enhanced stratification of the upper water column in polar oceans during late Cenozoic cooling episodes limited the upwelling of CO2-rich deep waters and thus CO2-release to the atmosphere, resulting in a net global drawdown of atmospheric CO2. Increased stratification in the Subarctic Northwest Pacific, during both the onset of Northern Hemisphere glaciation at 2.73 Ma and late Quaternary glacial periods, has been recently linked to enhanced ocean stratification south of the Antarctic Polar Front (APF) in the Pacific and Atlantic sectors of the Southern Ocean. Increased stratification of Southern Ocean surface waters was mainly deduced from a reduction of biological production during these cooling episodes, manifested by the decrease of geochemical proxies for productivity, such as biogenic opal and barium, in the marine sediment records. However, the records chosen from the Southern Ocean do not provide evidence for a more stratified upper water column, rather the observed decrease in biological productivity is likely to have resulted from an expansion of annual sea-ice coverage. The sediment records suggest that south of the APF in the Pacific and Atlantic sectors of the Southern Ocean, extensive sea ice may have contributed to the global CO2-drawdown during glacial periods, with hypothetical glacial increase of stratification in today’s permanent open-ocean zone merely being an “add on“ caused by this expansion.