nshjlucq

Call for detained women’s rights magazine editor to be freed on bail

first_img May 3, 2021 Find out more News News News AfghanistanAsia – Pacific June 2, 2021 Find out more March 11, 2021 Find out more News October 5, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for detained women’s rights magazine editor to be freed on bail Receive email alerts Follow the news on Afghanistancenter_img Organisation Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders today condemned the detention of Ali Mohaqiq Nasab, the chief editor of the monthly Haqoq-e-Zan (Women’s Rights), who was arrested on 1 October on the orders of the Kabul public prosecutor following pressure from conservative leaders. Contrary to legal requirements, the Media Evaluation Commission was not consulted about his arrest.“While the press is required to respect Afghanistan’s official religion, authorities cannot assume the right to arrest those who peacefully express their views about Islam,” the press freedom organisation said. “We also regret that the authorities again failed to respect the laws in force concerning press offences.”Pointing out that Nasab poses no danger to Afghanistan’s security, Reporters Without Borders called on the public prosecutor’s office to release him on bail as soon possible.This is not the first time that religious leaders have had journalists arrested. Sayeed Mahdawi and Ali Reza Payam of the weekly Aftab were arrested in August 2003 and then threatened with death sentences by the supreme court after publishing articles criticism religious extremists.In Nasab’s case, two articles in particular provoked the ire of Shiite clerics. One criticised the severity of Islamic law, especially the punishment of 100 lashes for those found guilty of adultery. The other suggested that abandonment of Islam could not be considered a crime. Afghan conservatives are currently campaigning for the adoption of the penalties envisaged by the Sharia.A number of conservative leaders had pressed Mohaiuddin Baluch, President Hamid Karzai’s adviser on religious affairs, for sanctions to be taken against Haqoq-e-Zan. Baluch took the view that the articles were “directly contrary to the principles of the Koran.” The supreme court president reportedly asked the public prosecutor to open an investigation. And it was then that the prosecutor ordered Nasab’s arrest.Aged 50, Nasab was at first held in the Kabul police station, but was transferred to the city’s main prison after an initial interrogation. The prosecutor said he had no Afghan identity document. AfghanistanAsia – Pacific Afghanistan : “No just and lasting peace in Afghanistan without guarantees for press freedom” Situation getting more critical for Afghan women journalists, report says RSF asks International Criminal Court to investigate murders of journalists in Afghanistan to go further RSF_en last_img read more

zadttguj

Forbidden Broadway Comes Out Swinging! Opens Off-Broadway

first_img Alessandrini and Phillip George direct the show, which started performances as Forbidden Broadway: Alive and STILL Kicking earlier this year after a ten-month hiatus. The new version frequently added revisions and additions as the current Broadway season unfolded. The production features takes on Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Idina Menzel, Rocky, Cabaret, The Bridges of Madison County, Aladdin, Bullets Over Broadway and more. Related Shows Show Closed This production ended its run on July 20, 2014 Forbidden Broadway Comes Out Swinging! Forbidden Broadway Comes Out Swinging! stars Carter Calvert, Scott Richard Foster, Mia Gentile and Marcus Stevens, with David Caldwell on piano. Gerard Alessandrini’s Forbidden Broadway Comes Out Swinging! opens officially at the newly refurbished Davenport Theatre on May 4. New York’s longest-running comedy revue returns off-Broadway in a brand new up-to-the-minute edition that lampoons the best of Broadway’s current offerings. View Commentslast_img read more

mkqxzoib

Quique Sanchez Flores admits Watford were outplayed by Southampton

first_imgQuique Sanchez Flores believes Watford failed to be “competitive” in their 2-0 Barclays Premier League defeat at Southampton, but he refused to criticise his players after insisting it was a first for the season. The hosts convincingly outplayed and outworked his team, and had the Saints even been slightly more clinical in the final third they would have won by a far greater margin than that provided by goals from Shane Long and Dusan Tadic. Watford were sluggish throughout and occasionally erratic, but having inspired his team to an impressive first half of the season, in which they have often appeared capable of challenging for European football, their manager was reluctant to be negative. Press Association The Dutchman said: “I was not so nervous because from the start we dominated the game, controlled the game. We were dangerous, we created chances. “I prefer to play with three at the back against two strikers. That gives more ball possession. Defensive-wise it’s a little bit more sureness, because one of our qualities is our left and right-backs are very offensive players. “We had very good pressing. Oriol (Romeu) and (Jordy) Clasie were very good in the midfield. “We can (start to) look up (the Premier League), but we also have to look under us, because it’s close. “(Watford) are doing a great season. They are difficult to beat. Maybe Southampton is one of the teams who created a lot of opportunities, because normally it’s not so easy to create opportunities to score against Watford.” “I’m not angry, I’m disappointed, but not angry,” Flores said. “We have the feeling we didn’t play in the right way. We made mistakes, we made Southampton’s play very easy. They played much better than us. “But it’s the first time during the season we’ve had this feeling, so more than ever supporting the players, transmitting to the players it’s possible to make mistakes… it’s the first time, we need to understand sometimes it’s possible. “It’s the first time we feel that we were not competitive. It’s the first time the opponent is much better than us. I apologise to the fans. My feeling is to give more support than ever to the players, it’s the first time in six months we’ve had this feeling. We can learn for the future. “It’s football, sometimes it happens. It’s not our idea when we’re training, it’s not our idea when we are playing the match, it’s not the spirit of the team. “Our spirit is very high, it’s very positive, it’s very energetic, but we didn’t find this spirit, and Southampton played really well.” Southampton’s impressive performance was a welcome return to form for Ronald Koeman’s men after they had lost eight of their previous 10 games. The Saints convinced by maintaining an intense work-rate throughout but were profligate with their finishing, though Koeman insisted he was always confident his side would win. last_img read more