hnaltcrj

First journalist arrested under new president’s rule

first_img Reports February 12, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 First journalist arrested under new president’s rule RSF learns that M’Membe was detained for several hours on 11 February before being released on bail. He was charged with libel, was due to appear the next day and risked three years in prison. Action was taken against him because of an article in the paper that quoted opposition MP Dipak Patel who called the president a “cabbage.” Patel was also arrested by police and held for several hours. RSF_en ZambiaAfrica RSF today protested to Zambian President Levy Mwanawasa about the arrest of Fred M’Membe, publisher of the privately-owned daily paper The Post, and called on him “as a matter of duty” to “rapidly reaffirm” his support for press freedom by dropping the charges against the journalist. ZambiaAfrica to go further News November 27, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa In a letter to the president, RSF secretary-general Robert Ménard deplored the fact that “after less than two months in office, you have ordered the arrest of a journalist.” He noted that “several international organisations, including the United Nations, have urged heads of state and government to show more tolerance towards criticism and not to prosecute journalists for ‘insults’ or defamation.” Coronavirus infects press freedom in Africa March 29, 2020 Find out more Zambia : Outspoken Zambian TV channel suspended for 30 days News News Follow the news on Zambia Receive email alerts Organisation The paper’s management called the moves “a clear act of intimidation originated and executed by frightened people and corrupt regimes shying away from the truth.” M’Membe is also being prosecuted for calling former President Frederick Chiluba a “thief” in an editorial. March 12, 2019 Find out morelast_img read more

qjrbvrhw

Purplebricks founder Kenny Bruce’s next job? Mowing the grass!

first_imgHome » News » Agencies & People » Purplebricks founder Kenny Bruce’s next job? Mowing the grass! previous nextAgencies & PeoplePurplebricks founder Kenny Bruce’s next job? Mowing the grass!Multi-millionaire reveals he’s not yet ready to reveal his next ‘project’ as he concentrates on gardening and football.Nigel Lewis13th August 201903,747 Views Purplebricks co-founder Kenny Bruce has revealed his new lifestyle after leaving the company in June, including a somewhat more relaxed approach to living.The multi-millionaire, who is the younger of the two siblings, stayed on for several months longer than his brother Michael to run its customer service division in the UK before leaving on June 21st this year.The 44-year-old reveals that he has thrown himself into gardening at his opulent home in Northern Ireland, celebrating with his father whenever the football team he supports, Larne FC, wins and taking his son to football matches.Bruce has also said that he went on holiday to Crete last month with his family for two weeks without doing any work while he was away; clearly a first.Post PurplebricksThe more laid-back approach life comes despite his pledge to ‘not let the grass grow under his feet’ back in June and a heavy hint that he and his brother had another project under way.This is on top of a ‘multi-million pound’ investment in Larne football club, which has been spent on redeveloping its Inver Park stadium and which is part of his promise to fans to ‘leave a legacy’ in the town.Bruce says he wants his millions to help the club reach the Premier League, and told the BBC recently that he will ensure ‘whatever it takes financially’ to achieve that.larne fc Purplebricks Kenny Bruce August 13, 2019Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021last_img read more