To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
SWEDENOne case was registered at the end of January in a woman who had visited the Wuhan area. On Wednesday a second virus case was discovered. GEORGIAGeorgia on Wednesday announced the first confirmed case of the novel coronavirus in the South Caucasus region. With 12 deaths and 400 people infected, Italy is the European country worst-hit by the COVID-19 outbreak. It has also been a point of contagion with many cases in other countries involving people who returned home after travelling in infection-hit areas of northern Italy. AUSTRIAA young Italian couple have tested positive. The Innsbruck hotel where the woman worked as a receptionist was initially placed in quarantine but the measure was lifted on Wednesday following tests. Austria has also urged its nationals to avoid visiting affected areas of neighboring Italy. Topics : BRITAINSo far, 13 cases recorded since the start of the epidemic. The government has requested travellers returning from affected areas in northern Italy, China, South Korea and Iran to isolate themselves and inform the authorities. GREECE Athens announced its first infection on Wednesday, a woman aged 38 who had recently returned from northern Italy. On Tuesday, the Greek government said that in the event of a mass outbreak, it would activate temporary restrictions on travel to and from countries with a large number of infections as well as temporarily closing schools, places of worship, cinemas, theatres, sports halls and businesses. BELGIUMOne case detected in a Belgian national who was repatriated from Wuhan, the Chinese city at the center of the epidemic, in early February. He has completed his quarantine period. ITALY FINLANDTwo cases, the first detected in a Chinese tourist in Lapland, while a second case involving a Finnish national who had recently visited northern Italy was confirmed on Wednesday. NORTH MACEDONIAOne case in a woman who recently return from a month in Italy. FRANCE France has so far registered 18 infections and two deaths, and has urged its nationals to delay any plans to visit virus hotspots in northern Italy. Students returning from China, Singapore, South Korea and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Venice are being asked to remain at home for two weeks after their return. With governments scrambling to contain a slew of coronavirus cases popping up across Europe, here is an overview of the countries affected, where people have died and the precautions being taken. GERMANYIn Germany, 18 people have been infected including two diagnosed on Tuesday. One is a 25-year-old man who was “presumably infected in Italy, in the city of Milan”. SPAINThe same has happened in Spain, which has registered 12 cases, 10 of which have been detected since Monday night. Of that number, nine involved Italians or people who had recently visited Italy. Among that number are four Italians who were visiting Tenerife in the Canary Islands, with the hotel where they were staying placed in quarantine To curb the spread, Madrid has advised against travel in northern Italy and sought to identify other potential cases that may have slipped under the radar by testing those already in hospital with respiratory problems or returning from high-risk areas with flu-like symptoms. CROATIAThree people have tested positive. Among them are a young man who recently stayed in Italy and his brother, while a third case was detected on Wednesday in a man who works in the Italian city of Parma. SWITZERLANDA first case detected on Tuesday in a man in his 70s who was infected near Milan.
Topics : Saudi Arabia said Tuesday it has permanently revoked the license of Qatari broadcaster beIN Sports and slapped it with a fine of $2.7 million over alleged “monopolistic” practices.Subscribing to beIN, the Arab world’s leading sports channel which has exclusive rights to several key tournaments, has been difficult for Saudi fans since the kingdom’s 2017 boycott of Qatar.Just days after Riyadh and its allies cut ties with Doha, Saudi Arabia banned the sale and distribution of beIN receivers and blocked Qatari websites as well as all transactions with its former ally. In 2018, Saudi Arabia’s General Authority for Competition (GAC) said it was revoking the broadcaster’s license and imposing the 10-million riyal ($2.7 million) fine, according to local media.On Tuesday, the GAC said a Saudi administrative court had upheld the decision.The GAC said beIN had “abused its dominant position through several monopolistic practices” that violated the kingdom’s competition law.In a statement, BeIN dismissed the decision as “nonsensical”, which it said had come after “sham legal proceedings”. “The very idea that permanently banning a leading competitor from a market could in any way promote competition is plainly absurd,” beIN said in a statement.BeIN has alleged that since August 2017 a vast and sophisticated Saudi bootlegging network known as “beoutQ” illicitly transmitted its programs via Riyadh-based satellite provider Arabsat.The World Trade Organization ruled earlier in June that Riyadh had failed to protect the intellectual property rights of beIN by refusing to take action against beoutQ.The ruling could have serious implications for a proposed 300-million-pound ($370-million) Saudi-backed takeover of English Premier League club Newcastle United.English Premier League football chief executive Richard Masters admitted last month that the proposed takeover involving Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) was “complicated”.