aqigbhvj

In cases recalling military dictatorship, one journalist beaten by police, another threatened by priest

first_img News August 3, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 In cases recalling military dictatorship, one journalist beaten by police, another threatened by priest Receive email alerts On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia July 6, 2020 Find out more ArgentinaAmericas ArgentinaAmericas Follow the news on Argentina RSF_en December 4, 2019 Find out more Newscenter_img to go further News Journalists face archaic sanction of capital punishment in some parts of the world Latin American media: under control of families, economic and political elites November 19, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information News Organisation Reporters Without Borders voiced outrage today at the arbitrary arrest and beating of Darío Illanes of the El Tribuno regional daily by plain-clothes police using a car with no licence plates on 1 August in the northwestern city of Salta. The assault occurred while Illanes and other journalists were visiting a detention centre for minors.“This violent police unit using a car with no plates recalls the worst hours of military rule when police and soldiers kidnapped government opponents,” the organisation said. “Illanes was the victim of an unacceptable attack on his journalistic freedom and dignity as a human being for daring to investigate the highly sensitive topic of detained minors. Administrative sanctions against the policemen involved will not suffice. The federal authorities must intervene.”Illanes said he and several other journalists had gone to a detention centre holding about 100 minors with the aim of asking about a protest the previous day. From their cells, children and adolescents were telling them about cases of alleged mistreatment when three plain-clothes policemen arrived in a car with no plates, grabbed Illanes and hit him.They then took him to a cell out of view of the other journalist and continued to beat him. His colleagues could hear his cries for help and finally managed to obtain his release after an hour and a half. With injuries on various parts of his body, Illanes filed a complaint against the police for assault. Salta police chief Gilberto Pereyra later said the incident would be investigated and that the three policemen had been suspended. But he also accused Illanes of being in an “unauthorised sector.”The worst years of the military dictatorship were evoked by another incident this week. Freelance investigative journalist Alfredo Silletta and his family were threatened on 31 July by Father Carlos Miguel Buela, the founder of an extreme right-wing Catholic group called the Institute of the Incarnate Word. The threat was made after Silletta had an interview with Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, the archbishop of Buenos Aires and head of Argentina’s bishops, about the negative influence of such groups within the Catholic church, which was the subject of a book he wrote.Buela sent Silletta a letter with a highly-charged verse from the bible: “It would be better for him if a millstone were hung about his neck and he were cast into the sea (Luke 17, 2). May He have mercy on your soul.” It is being seen as an allusion to the way the military disposed of its opponents during the dictatorship by drugging them and tossing them into the River Plate from helicopters.“The Catholic church’s involvement with the military regime make this kind of comment all the more unacceptable,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The episcopal conference must sanction this priest and the judicial system should also deal with him.”last_img read more

fsukgtgh

Eircom to cut two thousand jobs

first_img Google+ 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North News Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Pinterest The Minister for Communications says he will meet with management at Eircom to discuss plans for 2-thousand job losses at the company.Eircom is to shed over a third of its workforce by 2016, as part of cost-cutting measures.Minister Pat Rabbitte says the expectation is that the job losses will be on a voluntary basis – although he says it will be difficult to achieve that in the current economic climate.Minister Rabbitte also says he hopes the scale of the cuts may not be as severe as first expected:[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/10rabb1.mp3[/[podcast] Facebook Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th Previous articleSmall businesses in Northwest interested in green economy invited to programmeNext articleFine Gael Deputy Joe McHugh hit out at Sinn Fein jobs strategy News Highland center_img Pinterest Twitter Eircom to cut two thousand jobs Facebook By News Highland – November 1, 2012 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic WhatsApp Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal Google+ WhatsApplast_img read more

jillkczy

On-loan Liverpool star set for three-month injury absence

first_img1 On-loan Liverpool forward Mario Balotelli could be ruled out for up to three months after reports claim he will undergo hernia surgery this week.The controversial Italian is currently on loan at AC Milan but has not featured for the Rossoneri since September.And, according to Gazzetta dello Sport, Balotelli will now be out until mid-February at the earliest, putting his chances of making Italy’s Euro 2016 squad at risk.Balotelli will not return to Anfield for any rehabilitation programme, instead remaining with Milan, who will now have to weigh up whether to make the plunge and permanently sign him next summer. Mario Balotelli last_img