FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailSALT LAKE CITY-For the first time in program history, Dixie State men’s basketball will play a Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference game as they face the Westminster Griffins.Tip-off is slated for 7:30 pm at the Behnken Fieldhouse with the all-time series between the Trailblazers and Griffins tied 2-2.Last season, the Trailblazers were 14-6 on the season away from Burns Arena as they enter their first true road game of this season against a fellow NCAA Division II opponent Saturday.The Trailblazers are averaging 74.3 points per game and surrendering 70 points per contest thus far this season.Junior forward Matt Conway is Dixie State’s statistical leader, averaging 19.7 points and 7.3 rebounds per game.Dixie State is 2-1 on the season, with Westminster currently at 2-2 to start things off in 2018-19.The Griffins average 71.8 points per game while giving up 74 points per contest.Guard Brandon Warr, of Salt Lake City’s Highland High School, leads Westminster with 15 points and 10.5 rebounds per game. November 29, 2018 /Sports News – Local Dixie State Men’s Basketball Faces Westminster Saturday Tags: Behnken Fieldhouse/Brandon Warr/Burns Arena/Dixie State men’s basketball/Matt Conway/Westminster Brad James Written by
In his first year as a starter, Young has shown gratitude for his new role after platooning with former four-year starter Dontae Forte throughout last year’s playoffs.“I’d anticipated my time to play very heavily,” he said. “I was inserted into the rotation last year and I feel like that was the best preparation for me to do some of the things that I’m able to do this year.”One of Young’s favorite targets, Marcus Johnson, burst onto the scene after making the game-clinching grab against the Dragons in last year’s title game. He admitted that it has been a struggle, but one he’s welcomed to get better.“I’ve really been practicing my route running and I’ve been working in practice to not let go of the ball,” Johnson said. “If I drop one, it usually means 20 pushups.”The 6-foot-2, 170-pound junior snagged his fourth touchdown grab of the year against Allderdice. Despite his long frame, he likes the style of former Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes, who is 4-inches shorter.“I like the way he attacks the ball,” he said. “He works really hard to get there and that’s something that I like to apply to my own game. I’m not afraid to go across the middle and take a hit. I’ll just get up and keep playing.”U.S.O. came from a 15-8 halftime deficit to beat Allderdice who has struggled as of late.“They just poured it on us,” Allderdice coach Jerry Haslett said. “I thought we did a good job on defense, recognizing that they were going to pass the ball a lot on us. But, they were relentless, just passing it time and time again. We just kind of fell apart at the end.”Brashear 35, Carrick 6Brashear Bulls head coach Rick Murphy emphasized how important it was for his team to stop committing turnovers that was going to hurt them—namely fumbles.His team didn’t commit any against the host Carrick Raiders, who remain winless on the year.“We were shooting each other in the foot too much,” Murphy said. “It was a good win and I’m extremely proud of the way this team was able to run the football and the way we protected it, as well.”DeShaun Roberts, who was recently moved from receiver, rushed for 116 yards and three scores Diondre Farris added two touchdowns on the ground for Brashear (2-1, 2-4).Perry 43,Westinghouse 2The Westinghouse Bulldogs remain winless on the year as the Perry Commodores’ senior quarterback Ahmed Turner led their offense by throwing three touchdown passes. Running back Curtis Edmonds carried the ball 10 times for 164 yards, including an 86-yard score for Perry (3-0, 4-2).(Follow our continuing coverage of City League Football and add your comments to our website at www.newpittsburghcourier.com. Malik Vincent can be reached at [email protected]pittsburghcourier.com or on Twitter @malikvincent.) PATRICK FERGUSON from Allderdice is hit for a loss by USO’s Neondre Harbour (50) as teammates Virgil McClendon (43) and Jermaine Brown (55) close in to assist, The USO defense held Ferguson to 52 yards rushing. Traditionally known for having run-dominant offenses, the City League rarely features a team as pass-happy as this year’s U.S.O. (University Prep, Sci-Tech, and Obama) squad.Senior quarterback Akil Young’s 266 yards on 12 of 31 passing with three scores was a big reason that U.S.O. (3-0, 3-0) rallied to knock off East Side foe Allderdice (1-2, 2-4), 35-15, on Oct. 5.
Facebook26Tweet0Pin1Submitted by Take Winter By StormTrees bare during the winter line College Street in Lacey.Weather experts predict big storms ahead; get winter-ready nowWhen will that first classic, havoc-creating fall storm hit Western Washington?(That’s the storm that strips deciduous trees of their leaves all at once, clogging street drains and bringing flooding across the region.)Any day now. Just ask the trees.Dr. Sarah Reichard, University of Washington tree expert and director of the U.W. Botanic Gardens, says watching the trees in your neighborhood — as well as the weather report — is the secret to predicting when those first flood-causing storms will hit.“As day length and temperatures decrease, leaves stop producing chlorophyll, which gives them their green color,” says Reichard at today’s launch of Take Winter By Storm – an annual preparedness campaign to help citizens get prepared before bad weather strikes. “Thus begins their vibrant color changes and the process of separating from the tree.”This changing color toward brown is the sure sign residents need to be on the lookout for as the region is faced with what’s expected to be some very wet weather this winter. Karen Rich, program manager for Take Winter By Storm, says the combination of loose leaves, wind and heavy rain is what clogs neighborhood storm drains causing localized flooding.When that happens, local agencies urge residents to rake storm drains clear. This small effort goes a long way toward keeping roads safe and protecting property.“Urban flooding is just the first of many hazards that come with our Pacific Northwest fall and winter weather,” says Rich. “Citizens need to be weather ready throughout the season, and can find the tools and tips they need at TakeWinterByStorm.org.”According to a September 2013 Survey USA report of residents across King, Kitsap, Pierce and Snohomish counties, nearly half (49%) of all respondents have taken no action at this point to get prepared for winter weather.Here are some tips for getting started:· Create an emergency preparedness kit with at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food and water for the home and office. Kits prepared for vehicle road travel and winter weather evacuation go-kits are also advised.Make a communication plan and practice the plan with family and those who depend on you.Stay informed and monitor the weather approaching so you are prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws our way.Visit TakeWinterByStorm.org for more information and helpful resources, such as a downloadable preparedness and maintenance checklists and emergency contact cards.
Submitted by Adopt-A-Pet of SheltonAdopt Charles from Adopt-A-Pet in Shelton.Adopt Charles!Charles was found as a stray. The kind person who found him tried for two weeks to find his owner – he was such a great dog they couldn’t believe he didn’t have a home.He’s a very happy boy who loves to play fetch, go for walks and just hang out with anyone who will scratch that magic spot behind his ear.Charles is about 70 pounds and, we think, about 6 years old.We have lots of great dogs and always need volunteers to join our crew. We are Adopt-A-Pet on Jensen Road in Shelton. Find us online at www.adoptapet-wa.org or contact us at [email protected] or (360) 432-309.Maybe your home is Charles’ forever home. Facebook149Tweet0Pin0
Image Courtesy: Getty/IPLAdvertisement rk93NBA Finals | Brooklyn VsztxzWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E5goychv( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) b3adWould you ever consider trying this?😱j0pqCan your students do this? 🌚716Roller skating! Powered by Firework Even though world sports has taken a huge blow due to the novel Coronavirus pandemic, which has effectively caused the cancellation and postponement of many tournaments, leagues and fixtures all over the globe, many sportspersons, athletes and clubs have done their part in donating funds towards the battle against the virus outbreak. In India, the Indian Premier League franchise SunRisers Hyderabad has decided to pledge Rs. 10 Crores in the fight against the pandemic, which has put the whole country under lock down.Advertisement Image Courtesy: Getty/IPLThe official confirmation of the big news came from the club’s Twitter handle yesterday, where it was announced that Sun TV Group, the franchise owners have gone ahead to aid Rs. 10 Crore towards several relief funds in the country.“Sun TV Group (SunRisers Hyderabad) is donating Rs.10 Crores towards Corona Covid-19 relief measures. #COVID19 #CoronaUpdate” the tweet read.Advertisement The post has 9.9k likes and 1.3k retweets, as fans gathered in the comments to thank the franchise for their initiative.The club captain David Warner showed his appreciation towards the noble gesture, as he retweeted soon after: “How good is this well done Sun TV Group @SunRisers”Founded in 2012, SRH is owned by Kalanithi Maran, founder of the Sun Group. They were formed after the previous Hyderabad based IPL franchise Deccan Chargers were defunct, and lifted the trophy in the 2016 season.Previously, fellow IPL franchise Kings XI Punjab made their donations towards the PM CARES fund, however the amount was undisclosed.Kolkata Knight Riders also teamed up with Meer Foundation to contribute to the fund and also decided to donate protective equipment to the healthcare workers in West Bengal.IPL 2020, the thirteenth edition of the cash rich league, was previously scheduled to start on 29th March. After Prime Minister Nadrendra Modi announced a 21-day lock down on 24th March, the tournament was shifted be kicked off on 15th April.However, PM has recently hinted at a further extension of the lock down, which might see this year’s IPL season pushed back further.There has been 6,412 confirmed Coronavirus cases in India, and the death roll has risen to 199.Also read-Kapil Dev just shot down Shoaib Akhtar’s idea of an Indo-Pak cricket series. Here’s why!Aussie Captain reveals the real reason why his team ‘sucked up to Virat Kohli’: It’s not about the IPL! Advertisement
By Michele J. KuhnRED BANK – A new “boss” is coming to town.It’s the Cake Boss, aka Buddy Valastro. He and his family will be locating the latest branch of their Carlo’s Bakery at 86 Broad St., where Ricky’s Candy, Cones & Chaos had been. The outlet will be the fourth for the104-year Hoboken bakery, which has branches already operating in Ridgewood and Westfield and one planned for Greenwich, Conn.The location of a full-service bakery in Red Bank, where cakes, pastries, cookies and breads will be baked on premises, fits in with the company’s philosophy of locating in thriving, upscale downtowns.“We’re really looking for those great downtowns where we can be part of the community, part of that environment,” said Adam Bourcier, chief brand officer for Carlo’s. “Red Bank is a great walking downtown. Obviously it’s a year-round town that will probably end up being our strongest summer store.“We have no plans to go down the shore, if you will … (Red Bank) is a shore town without being a shore town,” he said. “It has the theater there… There are lots of great restaurants there. It really fits. When you look at Hoboken, Ridgewood, Westfield, a natural extension of that is Red Bank.”Plans call for the 3,400-square foot store to be open “by the holidays” with the best-case scenario being Thanksgiving and worst case by Christmas. Though the manager has not yet been named, Carlo’s expects to employ 25 to 30 people in the new location, Bourcier said.Representatives of the bakery were expected to drop off applications and floor plans to the borough on Thursday, Sept. 26, to obtain the necessary building permits. Because a bakeshop is already a permitted use in the location, no zoning or planning board approvals will be needed, Bourcier said.The store will feature a “cake bar” where customers will be able to see bakers making the sweets that will fill the store’s glass-fronted display counters. “People will be able to see cakes and other baked good and pastries being brought to life right in front of their faces,” he said.The longtime family business really got a boost and a national identity when it was first was featured in the TLC Network show Cake Boss in 2009. The show features Valastro and employees, many of whom are his family members, as they create fanciful and elaborate cakes for special occasions. Since the Cake Boss debuted, Valastro and Carlo’s has been the focus of other television shows and the business has grown to include its Lackawanna Cake Factory, the other downtown outlets and anonline presence where people can order baked good to be delivered across the country. Bourcier said, while the Red Bank location may occasionally appear on Cake Boss, it will not be regularly featured.“It’s still a family owned business…It’s always been a busy bakery. Obviously, since the show premiered in 2009, things have changed, especially at the Hoboken location. It became much more of a tourist-type destination. A lot of people obviously come to New York City, and Hoboken is a 15 or 20 minute PATH ride away,” he said. “Especially during the summer when there are school breaks, we’ll have people there from Australia at times.”Carlo’s also has a partnership with Norwegian Cruise Lines where they now have a bakery on one of the ships that goes out of New York.
Kyle Shannon, with a pair, Craig Martin and Jeff Conway staked the Home of Champions squad to the early lead and the visitors never looked back.Derek Steep and Martin with a pair, to compete his hat-trick, also scored for Roslsand/Trail.John Katountas of Nelson, Tyler Chernenkoff of Castlegar and Nick Maida of Nelson replied for the home side. Coleton Dawson of Nelson had two assists while Katountas finished with two points.”Rossland/Trail has been playing in the Okanagan league for the entire season against Tier II competition while we’ve been playing mostly Tier III competition,” said a Castlegar/Nelson team spokes person. “So they’re a very good team.”Garrett Steeds of Castlegar was in goal for Castlegar/Nelson while Eric Bullanoff picked up the win in goal for Rossland/Trail.Game two of the series goes Thursday in at 4:30 p.m. in the Cominco [email protected] By The Nelson Daily SportsThe Castlegar/Nelson Midget Reps took it on the chin Wednesday during the opening game of the West Kootenay Minor Hockey League playoff contest.Rossland/Trail scored four first period goals en route to a 7-3 victory in game one of the first-team-to-four point series.The series winner advances to the B.C. Hockey Tier II Midget Rep championship tournament next month in Salmon Arm.
A joint venture agreement for the Morant Bay Urban Centre in St. Thomas has been approved by Cabinet.Minister of Education, Youth and Information, Senator the Hon. Ruel Reid, said that the agreement, which is between the Factories Corporation of Jamaica (FCJ) and China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) Limited, is for the construction of the new urban centre on 28 acres and 365 square feet of land over a two-year period.He was speaking at Wednesday’s (September 26) post-Cabinet press briefing at Jamaica House.Senator Reid informed that Cabinet has instructed that the joint venture agreement include a clause that allows the Government to divest its equity through a public offering on the Jamaica Stock Exchange, and that the Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport consult with the FCJ to incorporate considerations for heritage, culture and sport, including the replacement of the Good Year sports oval.
APTN National NewsA former First Nations police chief has been sent to jail for his involvement in a ‘kickback’ scheme.Glen Bannon, 57, was the chief of the Anishinabek Police Service for 10 years since it was founded in 1994.He was responsible for purchasing and selling police vehicles.Bannon would then direct police business to a car dealership in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.In return he received vehicles and electronics.Bannon will now spend one year in jail for breach of trust and accepting secret commissions.
CALGARY – Sales of oil and gas drilling rights in Alberta delivered almost four times as much money for the provincial treasury in 2017 compared with 2016 but the total remained well short of the record.Alberta Energy reports receiving $18 million in Wednesday’s auction, the last of the year. That brings the total for 2017 to $504 million, 3.7 times as much as the $137 million in 2016. The record was $3.5 billion in 2011.The sales give oil and gas companies the right to drill exploration wells on land where the mineral rights are owned by the province. They are considered a key indicator of future drilling activity.Crown land sales were also up in British Columbia and Saskatchewan this year.Saskatchewan earned about $63 million in 2017, up from $53 million the year before but down from the record of $1.1 billion in 2008.B.C. earned $173 million, up from $15 million in 2016 but nowhere near the record $2.7 billion in 2008.