He said interest rates were unlikely to increase to the level of past decades, but could climb to 1.5% or 2%. The main interest rate for the euro-zone has been 0% since March 2016.Tuch said almost 80% of German government bonds and more than 60% of Dutch government bonds traded against a negative rate. He added that he didn’t expect a profit could be made on government paper during “the coming years”, and argued that Germany’s low interest rate was “simply unsustainable”.The average duration of government bonds was increasing, Tuch added, with some governments issuing paper with an extremely long duration – sometimes 100 years.“Most pension funds will be exposed to this development through their index portfolio,” he added.According to Tuch, interest rates on credit and high yield bonds were also at historic lows, with owners also not prepared for a rate increase.In his opinion, pension funds should consider replacing their liquid bonds with illiquid fixed income investments.“These aren’t bought by the ECB, have a lower bubble potential, and deliver extra returns,” he argued.Tuch cited residential mortgages as an alternative, “as they produce considerably better returns than Dutch government bonds against an acceptable risk-return ratio”.Illiquid corporate loans as well as loans with a government guarantee would also be an alternative to government bonds, he said.Aegon was anticipating the ECB’s policy by going short on Italian interest-rate derivatives and regularly taking profits, Tuch said.Aegon had also cautiously switched to an underweight duration for government bonds, relative to the benchmark. He recommended pension funds follow this example and cash in when interest rates rise.Tuch also suggested that pension funds revise their interest rate hedges, arguing that central clearing of derivatives – as required by EMIR regulations – had “important advantages” relative to bilateral swaps. He said that Aegon AM had already fully switched to central clearing. However, he didn’t elaborate on the advantages.The last time the ECB raised its main interest rate was in 2011, when the rate increased by 25 basis points in April and July, reaching 1.5%. However, it was forced to reverse this move by the end of the year as several euro-zone economies struggled to pay off debt. Pension funds should start considering the impact of an interest rate rise and instruct their asset managers to make adjustments, according to Aegon Asset Management.Without changes, interest rate increases would cause considerable damage to schemes’ portfolios of euro-denominated government bonds, warned Hendrik Tuch, head of interest and money markets at Aegon AM.Speaking at the annual congress of IPE’s Dutch sister publication PensioenPro in Amsterdam last week, he said rates were likely to rise as a consequence of the European Central Bank (ECB) reducing its quantitative easing policy.According to Tuch, Aegon AM expected that the ECB would signal its intentions after the summer. Government bond yields would rise later this year as a result.
DaQuan Bracey registered 17 points as Louisiana Tech routed Southern Miss 80-49 on Monday night in a Conference USA opener for both teams.Kalob Ledoux had 15 points for Louisiana Tech (10-3, 1-0), which won its fourth straight game. Derric Jean added 12 points, and Amorie Archibald had 12 points and nine rebounds.The Bulldogs entered ranked No. 21 in the nation in field-goal defense and held Southern Miss to 35% on 20-of-58 shooting, including 0 of 16 from 3-point range.Tyler Stevenson had 12 points for the Golden Eagles (4-10, 0-1).The teams match up again on Saturday in Ruston, La. Written By Associated Press Television News SUBSCRIBE TO US Last Updated: 31st December, 2019 11:30 IST Bracey Lifts Louisiana Tech Past Southern Miss 80-49 DaQuan Bracey registered 17 points as Louisiana Tech routed Southern Miss 80-49 on Monday night in a Conference USA opener for both teams. COMMENT LIVE TV WATCH US LIVE First Published: 31st December, 2019 11:30 IST FOLLOW US
“In view of the strong rand, it is prudent to invest between 20 and 30% of a portfolio in international markets. Investors need to hedge against those things they can’t foresee,” he said, adding that offering investors access to international companies, currencies and commodities allowed them to diversify their assets. Sanlam iTrade doesn’t charge clients for the offshore trading, although Saxo Bank does charge a fee, with costs varying depending on the trading instrument, stock exchange traded on, or live price feeds needed by the client. Bolus and Bolus Investments, the introducing broker to Saxo Bank, will offer clients the necessary trading help. Local financial services group Sanlam has launched iTrade, a new offering that gives South Africa’s online traders access to foreign listed instruments on 16 global stock exchanges, allowing investors to easily diversify their portfolios and giving them access to some of the most traded companies globally. SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material 30 July 2010 “Currently South Africans can invest up to R4-million offshore but there is very little stopping government from lifting these controls on individuals as very few people made use of this allocation,” he said. He believes the JSE’s recent launch of single stock futures on foreign equities is a precursor to lifting the controls. According to Gerhard Lampen, head of Sanlam’s online trading platform, Sanlam iTrade now offers one of the most advanced trading platforms available. Lampen says it is the right time to launch offshore trading to investors, and believes exchange controls on individuals will be abolished in the next 12 months. Free demonstration models Lampen said that Sanlam had chosen online Danish investment bank Saxo Bank’s platform and access to global markets, because it had highly advanced trading technology and an award-winning platform. “Bolus and Bolus provides assistance with opening an account, transferring funds to Saxo Bank, training on using the platform and trading the different instruments, as well as a fully staffed help desk,” he said. In order to trade offshore, clients open a trading account with Saxo Bank through Bolus and Bolus. They then transfer money into the Saxo account – and can start trading immediately. The minimum investment is US$10 000. Lampen says demonstration models are available free of charge on the Sanlam iTrade website. “The major aim with the new launch is to give our clients exposure to global markets – something most South African investors have not had before,” he added. “Clients will be able to trade shares, currencies, commodities and exchange-traded funds, among other instruments,” he said in a statement this week. “The New York Stock Exchange, London Stock Exchange and Australian Stock Exchange are among the 16 exchanges now available to equity traders.” Advanced trading technology ‘Right time’ for offshore investment
Links between PTSD & Domestic Violence in Military CouplesDate: March 28, 2015Time: 11am-1pm EasternLocation: Links between PTSD & Domestic Violence in Military CouplesCasey Taft, PhD, National Center for PTSD, Boston VA Medical Center, will explore links between Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and Domestic Violence in Military Couples. Dr. Taft will provide background information regarding intimate partner violence (IPV) in military populations, discuss the development and treatment elements of the interventions, present treatment outcome data obtained from treatment development grants funded through the Centers for Disease Control, Department of Defense, and Department of Veterans Affairs, and discuss current efforts to implement the programs. He will also provide specific tips and skills for working with this challenging population.We offer 2.0 National Association of Social Worker CE credits and CE credits for licensed Marriage and Family Therapists in the state of Georgia for each of our webinars, click here to learn more. For more information on future presentations in the 2014 Family Development webinar series, please visit our professional development website or connect with us via social media for announcements: Facebook & Twitter.
Costa Rica fans celebrate after their team defeated Greece to enter World Cup quarterfinals From the beaches to the capital, Costa Ricans poured into the streets Sunday to celebrate the national team’s historic World Cup victory over Greece that will put the team in the quarterfinals for the first time.Statistical Highlights | Match Analysis Fans in the capital of San Jose gathered at the Fuente de la Hispanidad, a fountain and traditional celebrating spot, carrying flags, wearing wigs and jerseys, honking and whooping following the team’s win in a penalty shootout.”The country has fallen. There’s been an earthquake,” said restaurateur Teo Prestinary, 43, on the beach in Nosara, where he said it was jammed with countrymen cheering, whistling and singing “Vamos Ticos,” or “Go, Costa Ricans.” “It’s beautiful. It’s historic, emotional.”Maria Mendoza, 33, watched the celebration on television from nearby Santa Ana, said she was, “happy, happy, happy.”Costa Rica reached the match against Greece after defeating Uruguay and Italy and tying England in a division where it was considered the weakest team.It won Sunday in a 5-3 shootout after the game ended 1-1 following extra time.Now Costa Ricans say they could go all the way.”We always had faith,” said Luis Diego Escorriola, 42, who was watching the final game commentary before joining the celebration. “The entire country is going to the streets.”
Atletico Madrid coach Simeone: Transfer news always a concernby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAtletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone admits player issues are always a concern at this time.Simeone was asked transfer window questions yesterday, but only wanted to discuss the game at Sevilla.”These are things that happen every year.”Some end their contracts, others want to sign them because they are very good, others want more minutes.”We are focused on what matters most – Sevilla.”They are a strong team who are even stronger at home and they always play positively and generate a lot of enthusiasm.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Advertisement Twitter LACOMBE, ALTA.—Christopher Cattrall, the brother of Sex and the City star Kim Cattrall, has been found dead on his property in rural southern Alberta, according to police.The actress tweeted Sunday afternoon that she and her family were announcing Christopher’s “unexpected passing” — less than 24 hours after she took to Instagram to ask for help in searching for her brother.“At this time we ask for privacy,” Cattrall said in the post. “We want to thank you all on social media for your outpouring of love and support in this trying time.”It is with great sadness that myself and my family announce the unexpected passing of our son and brother, Chris Cattrall. At this time we ask for privacy. We want to thank you all on social media for your outpouring of love and support in this trying time. pic.twitter.com/n4dQAMrTvS— Kim Cattrall (@KimCattrall) February 4, 2018 Police said in a news release Sunday afternoon that Cattrall’s body was found on that property.“The investigation into the circumstances surrounding his death will continue by the RCMP, but preliminary information indicates that his death is not being considered suspicious,” RCMP said in the release.Police said they would not be commenting further on the case out of respect for the family. Kim Cattrall, who was born in the U.K. but spent much of her childhood in Canada, had said in an earlier Instagram post that her brother’s keys, cellphone and wallet were left on a table in the house, and his front door was unlocked and his seven dogs were left alone.THE CANADIAN PRESS Advertisement Facebook LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment RCMP had said the 55-year-old was last heard from on Tuesday, and was believed to have been at his home on a rural property in Lacombe, Alta., at the time. Login/Register With: Advertisement
(L to R: Jack Royal, Chairman of IBC, Aboriginal Affairs Minister Kathleen Ganley and Chief Vincent Yellow Old Woman of Siksika Nation at the announcement) Brandi Morin APTN National NewsEDMONTON — The province of Alberta has announced a partnership to help the flooded community members of the Siksika Nation in southern part of the province.It has been two years since flood waters forced almost 1,000 people from their homes and the community is still dealing with the aftermath working to rebuild homes, roads and other damaged infrastructure.On Friday a new partnership involving Siksika, the Alberta Government and the Indian Business Corporation was announced that officials say will help boost economic opportunities for the nation.Siksika has invested $2 million backed by an additional $700,000 from the province to help entrepreneurs build and grow their small businesses.The announcement comes on the heels of the apology for residential schools by the Alberta Government.“We are living in times where we need to work together,” said Siksika Chief Vincent Yellow Old Woman who is a residential school survivor and attended the apology.“I am proud of the partnership today. This is for our members who have a willingness, capacity and a means to move forward. To encourage and to help them see that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.”Aboriginal Relations Minister Kathleen Ganley said small business owners play a central part in Alberta’s economy, entrepreneurs are important to the overall prosperity of Alberta and, especially to the prosperity of Indigenous people.“There are more businesses owned by Indigenous people today than ever before. For many Indigenous people, starting a business can mean economic prosperity and improve quality of life. Nowhere is this more evident than on First Nation reserves,” said Ganley.However, many First Nations living on reserve face significant challenges when it comes to accessing capital for business start-ups.Alberta based Indian Business Corporation (IBC) will administer the project. The IBC is a First Nations owned company founded in 1987 that has since provided close to $70 million in loans and created and funded over 2,500 businesses or expansion ventures.IBC chairman of the board Jack Royal said they understand the needs of First Nations. The IBC helps to fill the gap between a lack of understanding with lending institutes and First Nations.“I think the main stream banks, chartered banks, don’t fully understand,” said Royal.“A part of that has to do with crown title to First Nations land underlying First Nations ownership of the land. The Indian Act and all of the restrictions with the federal minister having to provide various guarantees. As a result they see First Nations as a higher risk and then they don’t fit into mainstream lending opportunities. Through IBC we’re more flexible and we understand how the Indian Act works and how Indian title works and what’s required for security to guarantee loans.”This partnership is unique in Alberta in that it’s never happened with a First Nation and a First Nation owned company collaborating with the province to deliver programs/services or economic funding directly to First Nations people.Royal said the initiative will help community members to build independence and will have an impact on social conditions.“We’re investing in the community, we’re generating revenue. It starts from the ground up. If the people don’t own something, they don’t have the passion for it. I think now because they’ll own these initiatives they’re now able to build that passion,” said Royal.The two primary business trends in Alberta are the energy sector and agriculture which Royal believes many members will create undertakings in. There is currently even more economic opportunities available in Siksika through the flood restoration efforts and members are already lining up to apply for funding.Royal hopes more monies will be made available for other Alberta First Nations to take advantage of entrepreneurial ventures in the near [email protected]
ST. JOHN’S, N.L. – A lawyer in Newfoundland and Labrador is bringing a class-action suit against a website that collects obituaries and reposts them.The statement of claim, which has not been proven in court, alleges that the site managed by Afterlife Network Inc. contains hundreds of thousands of obituaries and photographs copied without permission from the websites of Canadian funeral homes and newspapers.The Jan. 11 document says the reproductions infringe copyright, and that Afterlife hasn’t sought permission from the copyright holders.Lawyer Erin Best is attempting to certify the lawsuit before the Federal Court of Canada.The action says the website generates revenues by displaying the advertising of third party businesses and by permitting users to “light virtual candles and send flowers.”A spokesperson for Afterlife was not immediately available for comment, but the company has previously told CBC that it will edit or delete information from the site on request.Afterlife’s website says that it has become one of North America’s largest databases for obituaries.It also says the firm seeks to inform the public of obituaries that are already on the internet by categorizing them by city.The class action says it is seeking the “maximum relief for each obituary and photograph placed on the domain without permission.”It also asks that the obituaries be taken off the website.It says the obituaries are created “at a time when families and loved ones are at their most vulnerable.“Appropriating obituaries and accompanying photographs for private commercial gain is reprehensible, and requires sanction by this Court.”
TORONTO – CIBC Capital Markets says U.S. tariffs on auto imports could shave a per cent of Canada’s economy and send Ontario into a mild recession.A research report by the bank says that a 25 per cent U.S. tariff on all foreign imports could cut Canadian auto production by more than 400,000 units a year, while tariffs on only Canadian imports would lead U.S. buyers to find other imports and cut production in Canada by almost 900,000 vehicles.Adding in a potential 10 per cent U.S. tariff on parts, and the fewer foreign inputs that would be required, CIBC estimates the widespread tariffs would result in a 0.5 per cent drag on Canada’s GDP, while tariffs that single out Canada would cut the GDP by a full per cent.CIBC, however, says the most likely scenario is widespread tariffs with a temporary exemption for Canadian producers because of pressure from major U.S. auto producers with cross-border operations.But CIBC Capital Markets chief economist Avery Shenfeld says even a temporary exemption would be a “sword of Damocles” that would pressure auto makers to shift more production to the U.S., pressure allies into a more U.S.-tilted trade deal, and demonstrate a toughness on trade to his voting base.He says the impact of tariffs and reduced auto production on the Canadian economy would be tempered by a resulting much lower loonie, and a lower path for interest rates.