A summer camp for children with cancer will be held from July 27 through Aug. 1. (Image: Little Red Door Cancer Agency)Little Red Door Cancer Agency is hosting Camp Little Red Door, a five-day summer camp for children with cancer. The camp will be held from July 27 through Aug. 1 at Bradford Woods in Martinsville, Ind. The registration deadline is June 13, 2014.Any child 8-18 years old with cancer or in remission living in Indiana is eligible to attend. One sibling/friend per patient is welcome to attend, if space allows. The camp is Indiana’s oldest camp for children with cancer.The camp will include swimming, canoeing, fishing, archery, camp fires, arts and crafts and more! An experienced medical staff will be onsite 24 hours a day. The Robert T. Grand Leadership Academy, open to previous campers at least 16 years-old, will be held July 25 through July 27.The cost is $25 per camper and $50 per sibling/friend. Financial assistance is available. You can download the application at www.littlereddoor.org/camp or call (317) 925-5595.Established in 1945, Little Red Door Cancer Agency works to reduce the physical, emotional and financial burdens of cancer for medically underserved residents of central Indiana by providing free client services, cancer screenings and education.News Release
Despite the fact that the passengers had arrived from an infected ship, none of them were tested for the virus upon arrival.She adds that the cruise line knowingly had nearly 200 passengers and crew members who were showing symptoms, and the company did nothing about it.Read the lawsuit here: A South Florida lawyer has filed COVID-19 negligence lawsuits on behalf of 16 families against a subsidiary of Carnival Cruise Lines.Debi Chalik, an attorney and founding partner of Chalik and Chalik Law Firm, made the complaints last week against Princess Cruises, which Carnival operates.“Princess Cruises has shown an utter disregard for the safety of its passengers and crew members,” the lawsuit states.According to Chalik, the Diamond Princess was quarantined off the coast of Japan with about 700 cases of COVID-19 in early February.Meanwhile, the Grand Princess departed from the west coast of the United States on February 21, and docked on March 5 in Oakland. That ship had 100 confirmed cases of the virus.Chalik’s plaintiffs were shuttled to military bases in California, Georgia, and Texas.We need to correct inaccurate info found online and in some media. Read BOTH parts of this 2-tweet clarification from @CDCgov. Live, infectious virus was NOT found on #DiamondPrincess 17 days after cabins were vacated. @NEJM reports it survives on surfaces only up to 72 hours. https://t.co/gMtMJP4QzX— Princess Cruises (@PrincessCruises) March 26, 2020
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says it has almost completed work to close three of the most serious levee breaches on the Missouri River in southwest Iowa.Matthew Krajewski is readiness branch chief for the Corps’ Omaha district. Krajewski says four of about 40 breaches needed urgent attention after the flooding in March and May , and three of those should be closed Monday.The Omaha World-Herald reports that the levees needing urgent repair were designed to protect Council Bluffs, Bartlett, Percival and Hamburg. The closure of those four breaches is expected to cost more than $34 million.The other breaches aren’t as large and don’t put as much infrastructure or people at risk. Some of the breaches are allowing water to flow back into the river from flooded fields.
4 Nov 2019 Schmidt’s ‘crazy’ 2019 is just for starters Tags: Ben Schmidt Ben Schmidt can only find one word to describe 2019 – ‘crazy’.Even now, that single word barely covers the drama of an incredible year.Back in January, schoolboy Schmidt was outside the top 5,000 in the amateur rankings. He had ambitions to climb higher and the talent to make it a reality.But at that stage the talented teenager couldn’t have spotted the top ten with the aid of the Hubble telescope. This week, though, the hard-working, but still down-to-earth Schmidt is in the lofty position of world number eight. And the England Men’s squad member is not for stopping there.His victory in the Brabazon Trophy at Alwoodley GC at the start of June catapulted him up the rankings and into the consciousness of the wider golfing world.Aged just 16 and the youngest ever winner of the event (1975 victor Sandy Lyle – who progressed to becoming an Open and Masters champion – was the previous youngest), Schmidt found himself in the headlines.Yet he didn’t let it affect his rhythm. He followed up that win with victory in the Henry Cooper Junior Masters at Nizels GC later in June.Then came the hat-trick – success in the Carris Trophy at Moor Park GC completing a memorable six weeks of golf from the teenager.Now 17, Schmidt is widely acknowledged as one of the rising stars of not only English, but world amateur golf and the sky’s the limit for the lad from Rotherham GC.Yet it’s a position so far removed from where he was heading into the campaign that Schmidt can only chuckle when he casts his eye back over the year and looks ahead to what lies in store in 2020.“It’s been crazy looking back on it,” said the young Yorkshireman with a wide smile.“And if I’m being honest the amount of success I enjoyed this year has been unexpected.“I was striving to get myself to the next level and always had self-belief.“But it all just clicked over the summer and everything changed for me in a matter of weeks.“I started the season being rejected for a place in the Spanish amateur because my world ranking wasn’t high enough.“I couldn’t tell you my exact ranking, but it was in the 5000s.“Now I’m eight in the world having played in the US Amateur at Pinehurst and having won the Brabazon trophy.“England won the Home Internationals too and I was proud to be a part of that squad and will continue to represent my country when offered the chance.“Over the summer I just got on a roll.“I came out of winter training and made a decent start to the season despite not having played competitively for a few months.“I won the Yorkshire Boys in May which was a real boost and it progressed from there.“Once I won that first event, I started every tournament thinking only about the win. I just had so much confidence.”Schmidt’s potential has long been noted by observers of the English amateur game.In 2018, he won the Boys’ County Champion of Champions and was a stalwart of the England Boys’ squad.But 2019 saw him cruise through the gears. Schmidt also widened his horizons with that trip to Pinehurst – a very welcome bonus as part of the reward for winning the Brabazon with four rounds in the 60s.Schmidt said: “Pinehurst was unbelievable. I loved every second of it.“The scale of the event was massive and I found myself lining up alongside guys I had followed on social media and didn’t dare to think I would play alongside this year.“My pal Luca was caddying for me and he was standing watching players we’d only ever seen on YouTube! It was quite weird.“But I wasn’t overawed by the experience and learned so much even though I narrowly missed the cut.”Now after playing in the Justin Rose Telegraph Junior Golf Championship at Quinta Do Lago later this month, America beckons again for Schmidt.In December, he will fly to Florida and play in the South Beach International Amateur in Miami.Over the winter he will also travel to South Africa, Australia and Spain to gain international experience in preparation for the domestic season and England team events.Still in his sixth form at Wath Academy in Rotherham, Schmidt is grateful to his school for backing him in his golf career.“I’m excited for 2020, but also know I need to put in a lot of hard work over the winter,” said Schmidt who has leeway to study and play as part of a schools’ scholarship programme.“I played in a Challenge Tour event recently and I saw at close hand just how sharp these guys are from a range of 60 yards. They are unstoppable and that’s the level I need to reach.“There are plenty of goals to look at for 2020 – I’d like to be the number one amateur if I could.“I can’t be satisfied at where I am – I have to always look at the next level.”Photography credit: Leaderboard
Facebook18Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Washington State Department of Enterprise ServicesA selection of pieces from the USS Olympia’s official presentation silver service are on display this month at Olympia City Hall. The antique silver set was presented to the historic U.S. Navy warship more than 100 years ago following local and statewide efforts to raise funds for the service.The silver pieces can be viewed between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, in the lobby at Olympia City Hall, 601 Fourth Ave. E.Featuring the state of Washington seal, oak and laurel leaves and the name “Olympia,” the presentation silver collection is steeped in military history: It was presented to commemorate the 344-foot steel ship’s heroic role in the Spanish-American War’s Battle of Manila Bay, under the command of Admiral George Dewey.Though most famous as Dewey’s flagship in the Spanish-American War, the USS Olympia served in both military and humanitarian roles in the U.S. Navy into the 1920s. Its last assignment prior to decommissioning was the return the body of the Unknown Soldier to the United States for burial. The vessel is now an exhibit at the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia.On DisplaySilver set pieces on display include an ornate 20-inch oval tray and a small tureen with a lid, crafted by Shreve & Company of San Francisco. The pieces are part of a 29-piece collection on loan from the U.S. Navy to the City of Olympia and managed by the Department of Enterprise Services. The full set is usually on display at the Governor’s Mansion on the Capitol Campus, and includes a coffee and tea service, several trays, covered dishes and punch bowl.A selection of pieces from the USS Olympia’s official presentation silver service are on display this month at Olympia City Hall from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Photo courtesy: Washington State Department of Enterprise Services“Each piece in the collection is a work of art,” said Marygrace Goddu, cultural resources manager for Enterprise Services. “It was designed to be over-the-top, a showpiece and a status symbol that would attest to Olympia’s culture and means, and lay claim to the city’s heroic namesake ship. Each piece was modeled and engraved by skilled silversmiths.”A Piece of Community HistoryAfter USS Olympia gained status as a legendary American ship in the 1898 Battle of Manila Bay, local and statewide efforts raised money to purchase the set for $8,750. The collection was officially presented to the ship on Sept. 26, 1899. Its assessed value in 2003 was just under $200,000.“The city of Olympia is extremely proud to display for the public this remarkable piece of our community’s history,” said Olympia Mayor Cheryl Selby. “The silver service is a beautiful symbol of our relationship with the naval vessels that have borne our city name over the years and of our ongoing partnership with the state of Washington who has maintained the silver with such care. We are grateful to the state for their stewardship of these pieces.”The city’s display is coordinated with an upcoming visit by the crew of a more modern vessel that bears the city’s name — the USS Olympia submarine. Crew members of the 362-foot-long fast attack submarine are scheduled to visit its namesake city this weekend to participate in community service projects and other events.