to go further News June 2, 2021 Find out more Organisation BelarusEurope – Central Asia BelarusEurope – Central Asia Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown News RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” Help by sharing this information News News читать на русскомThe trial of Igor Velchev for the murder of NTV reporter and presenter Ilya Zimin begins today in Ocnita, Moldova. A Moldovan aged 23, Velchev is accused of fatally injuring Zimin, 33, in a fight in Zimin’s Moscow apartment in the early hours of 26 February 2006 after meeting him earlier in the evening. He is pleading not guilty, and faces 20 to 25 years in prison if convicted.“We hope that this trial will enable Zimin’s family and colleagues to discover the exact circumstances of his death,” Reporters Without Borders said.Following Velchev’s identification as the suspect in Zimin’s murder, NTV announced a reward for any information leading to his arrest. After being sought by the police for several months, he was finally arrested on the night of 23 June 2006 in Kagul, in southern Moldova. The trial had been scheduled to start a month ago, but was postponed because of the absence of any representative of Zimin’s family.Velchev is being tried in Moldova under a 1993 accord between members of the Commonwealth of Independent States for suspects to be prosecuted in their country of origin. Russia’s requests for his extradition were unsuccessful as article 13 of Moldova’s criminal code forbids the extradition of Moldovan citizens accused of crimes abroad.Velchev’s lawyer, Victor Chilat, says Moldova’s courts are competent and his client will get a fair trial. He has so far refused to say anything about what happened in Zimin’s apartment the night he died. The trial of NTV journalist Ilya Zimin’s alleged murderer, Igor Velchev, resumed in the Moldovan city of Ocnita on 2 October after three postponements because of the absence of three key witnesses who found Zimin’s body in his Moscow apartment on 26 February 2006. It was originally scheduled to get under way on 15 August. The court decided to keep Velchev, a Moldovan citizen, in custody for another 90 days. Prosecutors seem close to establishing his guilt. Two prosecution witnesses who reside in Moscow and who are unable to attend the trial will be questioned in Moscow. The next hearing is scheduled for 4 December. RSF_en Receive email alerts May 28, 2021 Find out more October 29, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Ilya Zimin murder trial resumes after three postponements —————————————-21.08.07Ilya Zimin murder trial in Moldova postponed for third timeThe trial of Igor Velchev for the murder of NTV journalist Ilya Zimin did not begin as scheduled in Ocnita, Moldova, on 15 August because the four NTV employees who discovered Zimin’s body in his Moscow apartment were not in court. The trial was postponed until 2 October. It was the third postponement for the same reason. The Moldovan prosecutor’s office said the NTV journalists were notified by mail that they should attend the trial, but they claim they did not get any letter. The court could decide to ask them to respond to questions in writing, or statements could be taken from them in Moscow. But Velchev’s defence lawyer, Victor Chilat, said he would insist that they come to Moldova to testify in person.———————————15.08.07Moldovan goes on trial today in Moldova for murder of TV reporter in Moscow “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says Follow the news on Belarus May 27, 2021 Find out more
11.08.04 – Sergiy Sholokh gets refugee status in USSergiy Sholokh, former head of Ukraine’s Radio Continent, has obtained refugee status in the United States, he announced on 10 August. He has lived in Poland for the past six months after being forced to leave Ukraine due to threats, many from the SBU state security police, and was given US refugee status on 6 August. His privately-owned opposition radio stationwas shut down on 3 March after re-broadcasting programmes put out by the Ukrainian service of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE). Follow the news on Ukraine Help by sharing this information News ——– Receive email alerts Organisation Ukrainian media group harassed by broadcasting authority News UkraineEurope – Central Asia February 26, 2021 Find out more News to go further UkraineEurope – Central Asia Crimean journalist “confesses” to spying for Ukraine on Russian TV September 7, 2020 Find out more March 26, 2021 Find out more 04.03.04 – Authorities silence Radio Continent and Radio Free EuropeReporters Without Borders today condemned the action of the Ukrainian authorities in forcing privately-owned Radio Continent off the air yesterday by seizing its equipment. The move came just four days after the station began relaying the Ukrainian services of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE), and two weeks after RFE was pushed off the FM band in Ukraine.The operation is clearly designed to silence two stations that are considered too critical of the government, the organisation said.Reporters Without Borders and the Mass Media Institute had warned on 13 February that the decision to end FM retransmission of RFE in Ukraine was a worrying sign for press freedom, especially as it came just a few months before a presidential election.Today, Reporters Without Borders called on the authorities to stop blocking Radio Continent’s broadcasts until the European Court of Human Rights issues a ruling on the dispute between the station and the government, which resulted in its losing its licence. The organisation also urged the authorities to take every necessary measure to ensure the safety of the station’s journalists.The confiscation of Radio Continent’s transmitter and other equipment was carried out by police and officials from the state broadcasting agency, which assigns radio frequencies.The station’s staff said the seizure was preceded by jamming of its signal, which began on 1 March, just two days after it began relaying RFE’s programming. Radio Continent general manager Sergiy Cholokh told the Mass Media Institute that he had received death threats from the SBU, the security service, which told him not to retransmit RFE.Radio Continent also used to relay programmes of other foreign stations, including the BBC, Deutsche Welle, Voice of America and Polish Radio. It was stripped of its licence on 12 April 2001 on the grounds that it had not repaid a debt to the state. With the support of Reporters Without Borders and the Mass Media Institute, the station appealed to the European Court of Human Rights in June 2002 in an attempt to recover its licence.Cholokh, who is also a witness in the investigation into the 2000 murder of journalist Georgiy Gongadze, has received many death threats and has been subjected to many other forms of harassment.RFE is funded by the US congress. Its programming had been relayed on the FM band in Ukraine by a privately-owned radio station, Dovira, since 1998. But Dovira abruptly terminated the arrangement after a recent change of management. August 11, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Sergiy Sholokh gets refugee status in US News Ukraine escalates “information war” by banning three pro-Kremlin media RSF_en
This past Saturday, Greensky Bluegrass made their way to the Crescent City for a performance at The Joy Theater. The boys did not hold back for the NOLA crowd, delivering a memorable set including a pair of classic covers to end each set–Pink Floyd‘s “Time” in set one and the Grateful Dead‘s “Eyes Of The World” in set two. The second set also started off with some entertaining banter about the Chicago Cubs game going on during the show.Thanks to Archive.org user YEMJAMBOY, we can enjoy a full stream of this great show below!Greensky’s current fall tour continues tonight at Duling Hall in Jackson, MS, with support from Wood & Wire.